Welcome to Carson-Newman University's Office of Military Services, the central point connecting student-veterans and veteran dependents with academic and personal support resources, both on and off-campus. Our goal is to support your academic and personal endeavors from acceptance to graduation.

Dr. Randall O'Brien Veterans Center


Dedicated in 2019 in honor of former Carson-Newman University president and Vietnam War veteran Dr. J. Randall O'Brien, the Veterans Center aims to serve those who have served in the United States armed forces. The Veterans Center is a place for all of our veterans - students and staff, to meet to study, socialize and build community. 

The Center, located on the first floor of the Baker Building, adjacent to ROTC, provides space for students, faculty, and staff who are also veterans to meet, relax and socialize. It includes study areas, a kitchenette, comfortable seating, and a billiards table.

 Applying | Establishing VA Education Benefits


Welcome to Carson-Newman! We are excited to have you here.

The following are steps for establishing your benefits at Carson-Newman:

1. If you have applied and been awarded your education benefits, skip to step 2. To apply for a new benefit: Go to www.va.gov and click "Apply for Education Benefits", then "Find your Education Benefits Form". You will be taken through a series of questions; Answer the first one as "Applying for a New Benefit". You will then be directed to the correct application. When you have finished the application, please take a picture of the confirmation of the submitted application with your name and confirmation verification. Send the picture by email to militaryaffairs@cn.edu.

*If you have previously used your benefit at another University, you will need to submit the Change of Place of Training form. You will receive a new Certificate of Eligibility after your submission. 

2. Complete the Carson-Newman Veteran Educational Assistance Packet. The packet is attached to this link. Completion of this packet will be required for benefits certification. This is a one-time action to receive military education benefits at Carson-Newman University. On page 6 of the packet, you will acknowledge your understanding of the policies to receiving military education benefits at Carson-Newman University. I have attached these policies for your review to this link. You may submit the packet by email (militaryaffairs@cn.edu), fax (865-471-2013) or by hand to the Registrar's Office.

3. Submit your "Certificate of Eligibility". This will come in the mail 4-8 weeks following your application submission. You may submit it by email (militaryaffairs@cn.edu), fax (865-471-2013) or by hand to the Registrar's Office. 

4. Once you have your class schedule for each semester, please fill out the online request form. You can find the form linked to the Military Services page. This online request form is required to be filled out each semester. Once you have successfully submitted the form, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Please allow ample time prior to the semester start date to prevent a delay in benefits. You may request benefits when you enroll in your classes; however, if you have a change in enrollment following your request for benefits, you must notify the Director of Veteran Services by email immediately of any change in enrollment that would affect receipt of educational benefits. This action must be completed each semester that you intend to use your benefits. A reminder email with a direct link will be sent each semester when the new form is posted. Link: Request for Benefits Form

Once you have completed these four tasks, you will be eligible for certification at Carson-Newman.

C-N Veteran Education Policies 

Point of Contact



  • chevron_right
    Am I eligible for VA education benefits through the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

    You may be eligible for benefits through the Post-9/11 GI Bill® if you’ve served on active duty for at least 90 days, whether continuous (all at once) or interrupted (for shorter periods over time), after September 10, 2001.  GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

    Learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill

  • chevron_right
    Am I eligible for VA education benefits through the Montgomery GI Bill®?

    You may be eligible for benefits through one of 2 Montgomery GI Bill® programs.

    Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
    You can get benefits through MGIB-AD if you served at least 2 years on active duty and you meet all of the requirements listed below.

    All of these must be true. You:

    Were honorably discharged, and
    Have a high school diploma, GED, or 12 hours of college credit, and
    Meet other requirements
    Learn more about MGIB-AD

    Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
    You can get benefits through MGIB-SR if you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserves, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, and you meet all of the requirements listed below.

    All of these must be true. You:

    Have either a 6-year service obligation (you agreed to serve 6 years) in the Selected Service, or
    Are an officer in the Selected Reserve who agreed to serve 6 years in addition to your initial service obligation, and
    Meet other requirements
    Learn more about MGIB-SR 

  • chevron_right
    Can my spouse or dependent children get VA education benefits?

    In some cases, the dependent or surviving spouse and children of a Veteran can get educational assistance through a GI Bill® program.
    Learn more about Survivors’ and Dependents’ Assistance

    Also, if you haven’t used all of your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits, you may be able to transfer up to 36 months of benefits to your spouse or a dependent child.
    Learn more about transferring benefits


  • Submit a Request for Benefits every semester if you want to use your VA Benefits.
  • Fill out a VA Change of Major/Place of Training form VA 22-1995 if you change your major.
  • Take only classes that count toward your degree completion.
  • Keep the Office of Military Services informed of any changes in your enrollment status (add/drop, withdrawal, change of major, etc…) as any of these may affect your benefit.
  • The Office of Military Services is located in the Fite Administration Building and is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.  
  • We encourage you to contact us with questions/concerns. Please visit us in person, email militaryaffairs@cn.edu or by phone at 865-471-3205.

Enrollment Verification

If you are a Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 benefit recipient, you must go onto the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) website at www.gibill.va.gov to verify your enrollment monthly. If internet is not available, you can also verify your enrollment monthly by phone at 1-877-838-2778. This must be done at the end of every month to receive the previous month’s attendance/benefit.

Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Students receiving Post-9/11 GI Bill® must verify their enrollment starting August 1, 2021.

Payments will be withheld for students who receive MHA/kicker payments if they fail to verify or report that they are no longer enrolled in their courses or training. This requirement is only for Post-9/11 GI Bill® and does not impact other programs, including Veteran Employment Through Technology Education Courses (VET TEC), Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA), Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP), or the Edith Nurse Rogers STEM Scholarship.



Under the Yellow Ribbon agreement, the remaining amount of tuition and fees will be matched by Carson-Newman University and the Department of Veterans Affairs. This means 100% of your tuition and eligible fees (does not include room and board) will be paid while enrolled at Carson-Newman. The Department of Veterans Affairs will also pay you a monthly housing allowance, which can be used toward a payment plan for on-campus room and board charges, and up to a $1,000 stipend for books and supplies. For more information about the Yellow Ribbon Program click here.

National Guard | Reserves



As a member of the TN National Guard. you may be eligible for state tuition assistance through the TN STRONG Act. Carson-Newman is an approved school to use TN STRONG tuition assistance.

To be eligible for TN STRONG, students must use and exhaust all Federal Tuition Assistance. Please ensure your eligibility by reviewing TN STRONG & FTA

What is the Tennessee Strong?

The Tennessee STRONG (Support, Training, and Renewing Opportunity for National Guardsmen) Act establishes a pilot program to provide eligible members of the Tennessee National Guard tuition funding toward a first time bachelor degree for the next four years through a tuition reimbursement program. The STRONG Act provides educational opportunities for those who protect and serve our state and country and supports the Drive to 55 goal of equipping 55 percent of Tennesseans with a degree or certificate by 2025.

As a last-dollar reimbursement, the amount of state tuition reimbursement is offset by any other funds received. The tuition reimbursement will be made to the educational institution on behalf of an eligible member for no more than 120 credit hours or eight semesters toward a first time bachelor’s degree.

Who can apply?

Current Tennessee Air National Guard and Army National Guard service members in good standing with their unit. Pre-Basic Combat Training and pre-AIT Soldiers are eligible for TN STRONG.

How do you apply? 

A new TN STRONG application must be completed and submitted each semester. In addition to the TN STRONG application, you must submit a Request for Benefits each semester. 

1. Consult your advisor and register for classes for upcoming semester. Classes must be in accordance with your declared degree plan.

2. Complete the application packet, to include your Commander's signature.

3. Send completed packet to the Director of Military Services for signature. Contact information listed below.

4. The Office of Military Services will add additional documents and complete Section IV.

5. Once the packet is complete, it will be emailed to your branch of service's mailbox. It is ultimately your responsibility to ensure the packet is submitted; you will be cc'd on the email.

*Tuition deferment will only be granted when the completed packet is submitted to the Office of Military Services. Pending aid will be posted on your student account for the projected amount to receive. The maximum aid you will receive is $404 per credit hour.


Federal Tuition Assistance

FTA Information


MGIB-SR (1606)

The Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits. If you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may be eligible for this benefit. Find out if you qualify.


Changing Program of Study (Major/Concentration)

You may want to consult The Office of Military Services or the Registrar's Office to determine if the change of major will have a negative impact on your current enrollment certification. 

Changing your major with Carson-Newman does not change your program with the VA.

  • If you are using Chapters 30, 33, 1606; then you will need to complete the VA form 22-1995.
  • If you are using Chapter 35 or Fry Scholarship, then you will need to complete the VA form 22-5495.
  • Veterans Readiness students must meet with their counselor in order to have changes in your major VA approved. Your counselor will then submit a new VA form 28-1905 to the school regarding the change.