Transfer Students

We are honored that you’ve chosen to continue your education here at Carson-Newman University! Updating and receiving your benefits is a simple process. If you have used a portion of your VA educational benefits at another school, please follow the guidelines below to transfer your remaining benefits to Carson-Newman. If you need assistance at any point in the process, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

STEP 1: Update Your Benefits

If you have used your veterans benefits at another college or university, you will need to update your application to let the VA know that you will be using your remaining benefits at a different school. The process is relatively simple and should only take about 15-20 minutes. We recommend that you have any address changes and your bank information available at this time. You do not have to upload a DD-214 or any documents.

Please click on the button below to update your benefits at the US Department of Veterans Affairs website:

In the section where the application asks for the school’s name and address, please use the following information:

Carson-Newman University

1646 Russell Avenue

Jefferson City, TN 37760

When you have finished the application, please save or print out the confirmation page with your name and confirmation and email a copy to

Your actual Certificate of Eligibility (COE) will take another four weeks or more to arrive in the mail.

You DO NOT have to wait to receive you Certificate of Eligibility before applying for admission to Carson-Newman University, talking to a faculty advisor, or choosing your classes.

STEP 2: Complete the C-N Military/Veteran Education Assistance Form

This is a one-time action to receive military education benefits while attending Carson-Newman University. Click on the link below to begin.

On page 3 of the form, you will acknowledge your understanding of the university’s policies for receiving military/veteran education benefits while attending Carson-Newman University. These policies may be read and downloaded using the button below.

STEP 3: Submit documents to us

In approximately 30 days after applying to the VA, you should receive an updated Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in the regular mail. The VA may also send you a copy via email.

Our office will need a copy of your COE as soon as you receive it in order to process your certifications.

In the meantime, please also submit your most recent DD-214 (disregard if you are still serving on active duty).

If you are a member of the National Guard or Reserve, we will also need a copy of your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)as well as a copy of your Enlistment Kicker (if applicable). Check with your Unit Administrator to receive copies of these documents.

Once we have a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and your DD-214, our office will not need anything else from you until you have registered for classes.

All documents can be emailed to or dropped off in person at the Registrar’s Office.

STEP 4: Once you have registered for classes

EVERY SEMESTER, after you register for classes, you must complete the Certification Request Form in order for your VA education benefits to be processed. You will receive a confirmation e-mail after submission. It is important to submit this request in a timely manner to ensure that your benefits are not delayed. Registration at Carson-Newman takes place several weeks prior to the upcoming semester for which you are registering. Make it a practice to fill out the Certification Request Form at the same time you register for the next semester.

Once this form is received, your certifying official here at Carson-Newman will review your eligibility and ensure that the classes you’ve chosen are within VA guidelines. Please note that VA educational benefits will only cover courses required for your degree program.

You must report immediately, all changes to your enrollment to the Director of Military and Veteran Services via email. These changes include change in credits, course withdrawal, incomplete grades, and change of major and address. We are required to report these changes to the VA.

STEP 5: Go To Class

We strongly recommend that you make every effort to not miss class. Please note that a failure for non-attendance must be reported to the VA and will result in a debt on your student account. If you feel as though you may be at risk to fail a course for academic reasons, please contact our office so that we may assist with resources here on campus.

Always notify the Office of Military and Veteran Services if you make any changes to your schedule or degree program, as we are required to report them to the VA.

NOTE: In order for payment to be processed, some chapters of the GI Bill® require monthly self-verification of enrollment on the last day of each month in which you are enrolled. (GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This can be done by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) website or by calling the VA toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378).