Types of VA Educational Benefits

Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) is an educational benefit for individuals with active duty service after September 10, 2001. Post 9/11-GI Bill® benefits can be transferred to dependents while the service member is still on active duty.

If you are an active duty service member who would like to transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to your spouse or dependent children, please click HERE.

The recently passed Forever GI Bill® – Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act, has removed the 15-year delimiting date for individuals whose last discharge or release from active duty is on or after January 1, 2013.


Post 9/11 GI Bill® Tuition & Fees Debt

The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 (Public Law 116-315) changed how the VA will handle overpayments and debts regarding tuition and fees payments. 

Isakson Roe Debt

Important Information for Students

  • The VA determines the amount of the overpayment and debts of tuition and fees, not Carson-Newman.
  • If you have an outstanding balance on your account, then a hold may be placed on your student account which can prevent future registration, viewing of grades, or receiving transcripts.
  • If a balance remains unpaid for 90 days following the end of the term for which it is owed, your account may be referred to a collection agency.

If you have any questions about how these changes may affect you, please do not hesitate to contact us at

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (Chapter 30)

Enlistment after July 1, 1985 is required. The service person must have participated in the pay reduction program. The monthly payment rate will vary with the length and type of service. Monthly self-certification is required to insure benefit payments.


Montgomery GI Bill® – Guard/Reserve (Chapter 1606)

Enlistment or extension for six years of reserve duty after July 1, 1985 is required, and does not require a contribution by the service member. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of educational benefits, which end 10 years from the date you become eligible for the program.

Effective 4 May 2021, the Federal Tuition Assistance/Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1607) restriction has been removed. This means that Reserve Component Service Members enrolled in a half-time or more program of study may now receive their FTA and CH 1606 MGIB-SR benefits simultaneously for the same course.


Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E/Chapter 31)

This program is available to certain veterans who have a service-connected disability of 20 percent or greater. Although the date of entry to active service is not considered, students should use this benefit within twelve years of the date of discharge. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.


Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA/Chapter 35)

A child or spouse of a service-connected deceased or 100-percent-permanently disabled veteran may be eligible for VA educational assistance. The marital status of a dependent child is not a factor in determining eligibility. Benefits may be used until the dependent has reached the age of twenty-six or for eight years from the date that eligibility is determined, whichever is later.


Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

If your parent or spouse died in the line of duty or was a member of the Selected Reserve who died from a service-connected disability on or after September 11, 2001, you may qualify for this benefit. 


Yellow Ribbon Program

Carson-Newman University is proud to be a member of the Yellow Ribbon Program. Under the Yellow Ribbon agreement, the remaining amount of tuition and fees will be matched by Carson-Newman University and the Department of Veterans Affairs. This means 100% of your tuition and eligible fees (does not include room and board) will be paid while enrolled at Carson-Newman. The Department of Veterans Affairs will also pay you a monthly housing allowance, which can be used toward a payment plan for on-campus room and board charges, and up to a $1,000 stipend for books and supplies. For more information about the Yellow Ribbon Program click here.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)