Graduate & Professional Financial Aid


This is an investment in your future. Whether your goal is to set an example for your own family, advance your career or prepare to change jobs, we are committed to making Carson-Newman affordable for you. Our Financial Aid Office is here to guide you through all of the possibilities for exploring financial aid. 

Students must first apply and be accepted for admission in a degree-seeking program before consideration for financial aid will be given. Graduate certificate programs are not eligible for federal financial assistance at this time. Additionally, students that are provisionally admitted into a graduate degree program will have aid awarded up until the provisional allowance of credits have been attempted, and therefore must be fully admitted beyond the allowance of credits on provisional status to continue receiving aid.  All classes and coursework must be required for the degree for federal aid eligibility.


Payment is due on or before final registration confirmation. Graduate tuition and fees remain the same throughout the year. All fees and charges are subject to change.


Graduate & Adult ProgramsPer Credit Hr.Tech Fee (PCH)
Education — Graduate$450.00$55.00
MBA/MASI/MASE (Entrepreneurship)$505.00$55.00
MBA (Business) Americorp (20% off)$400.00$55.00
MAAT (Applied Theology)$450.00$55.00
Master of Divinity (MDiv)$500.00$55.00
MDiv (SBC rate)$300.00$55.00
Education Counseling$475.00$55.00
Nursing — Online$650.00$55.00
Nursing — On-ground$625.00$55.00
Grad. Ed. TN Grant — GEDTG or GENTG$320.00$55.00
Doctorate (Ed.D) & Specialist (Ed.S) $580.00$55.00
Doctorate of Nurse Practitioner$850.00$55.00


First Step. To be considered for federal financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid for the year you intend to enroll. Use Carson-Newman’s FAFSA code: 003481. You will be instructed to create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID to log in, if you don’t already have one.

Aid Notification. Once you have completed the FAFSA and have been accepted into your program, we will review your information and offer all available aid. You will receive an aid notification email that will direct you to the MyCN Student portal where you will find details aid eligibility as well as estimated charges. You will be able to accept or reject your aid or make adjustments to your loan amount. You will need to be enrolled in at least 4.5 credit hours applicable to your degree program to be enrolled half-time, which is required for federal loan eligibility. No aid is automatically renewable. Complete the FAFSA each academic year to be considered for aid renewal.  The FAFSA is available beginning October 1st for each new upcoming academic year, which begins with the next fall semester.  Our aid and academic year runs fall, spring, summer, so each summer semester is tied to the previous aid year of fall/spring.  Keep this in mind to know which FAFSA you need to file for summer aid eligibility.

Stafford Loans. If you plan to accept Stafford Loans, visit the federal student loans website to complete Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note (MPN). If you have previously borrowed through the Federal Direct Stafford program, you may only need to add C-N to your entrance counseling. If you plan to accept the TEACH Grant, you will need to complete the Entrance Counseling and Agreement to Serve (ATS). For more information, visit Federal Student Aid.

Want to avoid student loans? Our payment plans help reduce up-front costs. Enrolling in a payment plan allows you to make monthly payments on your direct charges instead of paying your full balance before classes start. For more information about a payment plan, visit Tuition Assistant.

Types of Aid

Federal Work Study: Must file FAFSA and prove demonstrated need with a desire to work on campus part-time by answering yes to FWS interest question on FAFSA. May be used toward tuition or indirect cost. More information is available through our Student Employment page. Estimated earnings range from $400-$2,000, which is based on minimum wage and the number of hours worked. Federal Work Study students are paid monthly.

Federal Perkins Loan: No longer available.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan: For this loan, students must file a FAFSA each year they want to be evaluated for loan eligibility at  Repayment of students’ aggregate loan balance begins six months after the student falls below half-time enrollment.  Eligibility for initial and subsequent loan disbursements require a completed Master Promissory Note (MPN), Entrance Counseling, and enrollment of at least half-time. The loan amount can reach up to $20,500 for one academic year but cannot exceed actual cost of attendance. The aggregate limit for graduate students is $138,500 with no more than $65,500 in subsidized loans from prior borrowing. The aggregate limit includes all federal loans received from other enrollment such as an undergraduate and/or masters degree(s).

Minority Teaching Fellows Program: To be eligible, the applicant must:

  • be a minority Tennessee resident and a U.S. citizen, and
  • be classified as a college junior, senior or graduate student, and
  • be a full-time undergraduate student enrolled in courses creditable to teacher certification or
  • be at least a half-time graduate student enrolled in courses creditable to teacher certification, and
  • possess a 2.50 or higher cumulative GPA if required by the teacher education program at the student’s institution of higher education, and
  • not be a licensed teacher

The application process consists of a 250-word essay on “Why I Chose Teaching as a Profession”, letters of recommendation from a school official an individual from the applicant’s community attesting to the student’s commitment to teaching, a list of extracurricular and leadership activities and all official college transcripts. Applications are available via the TSAC Student Portal. Awards are highly competitive and based on funding. Renewal applicants are given first priority. TSAC must receive the completed application and required attachments by April 15.

Graduate Nursing Loan Forgiveness Program: To be eligible, the applicant must:

  • be a Tennessee resident and a U.S. citizen, and
  • have an unencumbered Tennessee nursing license, and
  • be enrolled in an eligible master’s degree or a post-master’s degree in a nursing educational program at an eligible Tennessee institution.
  • Agree to become a teacher or administrator in a college or university nursing education program in Tennessee.

Students participating in the Graduate Nursing Loan Forgiveness Program may not participate in any other loan forgiveness programs, including federal, private or institutional. Once the program is completed, the loan(s) cannot be combined to existing federal student loans the applicant may have received for the purpose of repayment.

Federal TEACH Grant: This is for students enrolled in an eligible program meeting the academic qualifications who intend to teach in a high-need subject area at schools that serve students from low-income families and requires teaching obligation.  If the teaching obligation is not fulfilled, the grant converts to an unsubsidized loan, retroactive with interest. The TEACH Grant amount available to students is up to $4,000 per year for full-time enrollment, with prorated awards for less than full-time.  The Grant amount will also be reduced by the amount of the origination fee.  To be considered for Federal TEACH Grant eligibility, students must file the FAFSA and complete online TEACH Grant paperwork each year at

Private/Alternative Loans: Alternative loans are made through private lenders (e.g. banks) and are not part of the federal loan program. Carson-Newman encourages students to look into federal loan programs before applying for a private loan. If you are ineligible for federal loans or you have exhausted government sources, private loans can help offset the difference between your educational expenses and loans. There are many private loan options. It is to your benefit to research and find the loan that best meets your needs. The lender has final approval for alternative loans, rather than C-N. Private loan amounts vary and cannot exceed the cost of attendance for the program. Credit approval is required. Carson-Newman has a trusted lender list with which students are welcome to start their search here.