Nestled in East Tennessee just 35 minutes from downtown Knoxville and 40 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains, there are plenty of reasons to love Carson-Newman’s campus location.

 

Campus Buildings

  • Baker Memorial Building

    The Baker Memorial Building, opened in 1951 was a gift of Knox County Baptist Churches. The 30,132 square foot building was named for Mr. Cecil H. Baker, who served for many years as the chairman of the C-N Board of Trustees. The first floor of Baker houses the Army ROTC department and includes ROTC administrative and academic offices, computing rooms, two classrooms and a cadet student lounge. It also features the Randall O’Brien Veterans Center. The second floor of Baker building is home to the Graduate Studies in Counseling and includes the William Blevins Institute for Spirituality and Mental Health. Interview and counseling rooms and a graduate student gathering space are located adjacent to administrative offices for the graduate counseling faculty also on the second floor. The Counseling and Collaboration Lab Facility is located on the third floor. The Department of History and Political Science teaches courses in recently renovated smart classrooms on the second floor.

    Baker Memorial Building is located at 706 E. College Street., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Blye-Poteat Hall

    Blye-Poteat Hall opened in 2007 as the new home for the Division of Family and Consumer Sciences. The building was named for the two significant donors who made the building possible -Miss Gertrude Blye and John T. Poteat. Comprising 18,457 sq. feet the building has state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratory facilities for consumer services; interior design; retailing; child and family studies; vocational education; and foods, nutrition, and dietetics. The B/S/H/ Foods and Nutrition Laboratory is a national field test site for Thermador Professional Ranges and displays the latest in kitchen design by area members of the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA).

    Blye-Poteat Hall is located at 742 W. College St., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Butler Hall

    The central unit of this residence hall was opened in 1954, with additional wings added in 1958. It served for many years as a women's residence hall before converting the first floor into the new home for Enrollment Management and Admissions. The second floor of the North, South and East wings house the IT and Communications & Marketing departments. The entire West wing (added in 1968) comprises 73,802 square feet and serves as a housing facility for male students.

    Butler Hall is located at 1645 Russell Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Center for Community Engagement

    The Center for Community Engagement prepares future-minded servant leaders committed to building and sustaining a caring community through integration of academic excellence and community engagement. This 6,000 square foot building hosts the Center offices, meeting space and recreational areas. It houses our Bonner Scholars and Faith & Justice Scholars.

    The Center for Community Engagement is located at 703 E. King St., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Center for Global Education (CIEM)

    The Center for Global Education houses the offices of the Director of Global Education, the Coordinator of International Student Activities, and the Midkiff Resource Center for TESL students.  The master's program in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) is also administered from an office in this Center, and international student and faculty exchange programs are also coordinated here.  The 2,800 square-foot house where the Center is located was formally the home of Kathleen Manley in 1928, who spent 18 years as a missionary in Africa.

    The Center for Global Education is located at 1531 Russell Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Chambliss Building

    The Chambliss Building was given by the Ocoee Baptist Association and Justice A. W. Chambliss. Renovated in 1981, this 12,019 sq. foot building houses faculty offices for the psychology and sociology departments, a small conference room and several classrooms. A research center for Psychology faculty and students is located on the top floor.

    Chambliss Building is located at 2021 Branner Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Child Development Laboratory

    The Division of Family and Consumer Sciences’ early childhood education preschool is located in a separate facility near Blye-Poteat Hall. The spacious 6,581 sq. foot CDL hosts a 4 year-old classroom, observations room, snack kitchen, faculty/staff offices, parent-teachers conference room, and student teachers’ workroom. The outdoor playground directly adjacent the classroom is state-of-the-art with a scenic, pastoral view.

    The CDL is located at 1800 Bishop Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Dougherty Science Building

    Named for Mr. and Mrs. T. Hunter Dougherty, and completed in 1972, this three-story complex has 58,449 square feet of floor space especially designed to provide efficient teaching, laboratory work, and research in the natural sciences. Facilities for physics, geology and mathematics are on the ground floor. The second floor houses the biological sciences, and chemistry is located on the third floor. Vivaria and the green house are on the roof. The Academic Computer Center was added in 1998. Unique features of design for the complex include facilities for interdisciplinary study, laboratories for advanced independent study and research at the undergraduate level, and space for later addition of an astronomical observatory and planetarium.

    Dougherty Science Building is located at 2108 Branner Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • English Language Institute

    The English Language Institute occupies the white house known as “The Tennessee Jenkins House.” The 2,000 sq. foot house hosts two classrooms, offices for the ELI Director and instructors, a computer lab, and a kitchen where international students improve their English language proficiency and learn more about American culture.

    The ELI is located at 721 W. College St., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Fite Administration Building

    The Fite Administration Building was completed and occupied in July 1967.  The building was named for Dr. Harley Fite, former college president, and his wife.  Comprised of 27,273 square feet, the building houses the administrative offices of the president, academic affairs, treasurer, advancement, alumni relations, human resources, print and mail services, information technology, registrar/student records, institutional research and campus welcome center/switchboard.

    Fite Adminsitration Building is located at 1646 Russell Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Henderson Humanities Building

    The Henderson Humanities Building was dedicated to the memory of Dr. John T. Henderson, former teacher, president, and trustee of the school.  The current building, comprising 64,600 square feet was rebuilt after the original building was destroyed by fire in 1974.  Located in the heart of the campus, the building contains the English, Religion, Foriegn Language, Philosophy, and Communication departments. Gentry Auditorium and Phoenix Theater are also located in this building. Gentry Auditorium is named for W. L. Gentry, who served as college president form 1917 - 1919. The Phoenix Theater is so named because it arose from the ashes of the fire which destroyed the original building. The innovative fourth floor is complete with a main lobby/study area, several classrooms and currently houses the Forensics team. Nursing classes are also temporarily being held on the fourth floor until the completion of the new Drama & Ted Russell Center in Fall 2023.

    Henderson Humanities Building is located at 1640 Russell Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Honors House

    The Honors House is located on the north end of campus at 1814 Manning Avenue. Totaling 3,200 square footage, the main floor of the Honors House is considered public space for all Honors Students and contains the Honors Program Art Collection, copies of recent honors projects, free laundry facilities, a kitchen, and recreational/study space.  The upstairs floor houses the Honors Program Office and living quarters for two residents.

    The Honors House is located at 1814 Manning Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Maddox Student Activities Center

    Students at Carson-Newman have many opportunties to to enjoy campus life at the Maddox Student Activities Center (MSAC).  Built in 1993, this 96,000 square-foot facility is filled with options for activities and interaction, including an indoor pool and running track, racquetball courts, multiple gymnasiums, fully-equipped excerise room, game room, dining room, and snackbar.  It also houses study areas, academic offices, classrooms, meeting rooms, the Office of Student Affairs, the College Bookstore, the campus post office and a Chick-Fil-A. The MSAC also houses an outdoor tennis complex. The MSAC redefines the visual image of the campus and offers students a state-of-the-art facility for social interaction, physical activities, dining and other activities.

    The MSAC is located at 2130 Branner Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Stephens-Burnett Library

    Stephens-Burnett Memorial Library houses a collection of over 200,000 volumes, numerous microfilms and audio-visual holdings, over 95,000 e-books, nearly 12,000 current periodicals, most of which are available electronically, a cafe (Maples), and a Media Services Center with facilities for video and television production and satellite teleconferencing.  The main floor also features the Lynn & Lyndsey Denton Gallery, which currently houses seven volumes of The Saint John's Bible. In addition, the Library is a selective U.S. Government depository with access to thousands of government publications. The Special Collections Department houses the school's archives, Baptist archives, and Appalachian collection.  The four story building comprises 52,116 square feet and memorializes the late Charles B. Stephens and Katerine Anne Stephens of Morristown.

    The Library is located at 1634 Russell Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Stokley Memorial Building

    This building was named for W. B. Stokely, Jr and his family, many of whom have been prominently connected with Carson-Newman. The main floor houses the cafeteria, and the basement hosts the Department of Education. Remodeled in 2010, the Education space includes faculty officse, classrooms and three specialized meeting / training spaces: the Ted and Drama Russell Conference room, the Cole-Little Curriculum Laboratory, and the Morgan Computer Laboratory.

    The cafeteria was remodeled in 2019 and can accommodate up to 2,000 students.. Comprising 31,650 square feet, it includes a large lobby, one large dining room, three banquet rooms, the Board Room, the President's Dining Room, and the kitchen.  The large dining area is named for the late Elbert W. Willson of Athens, who was a devoted friend and long-time member of the board of trustees.

    Stokley Memorial Building is located at 2205 Branner Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Tarr Music Center

    Completed in 1980, this two-story complex has 45,704 square feet of floor space especially designed to enhance both teaching and performance. A spacious lobby is the focal point of the facility which is bathed in natural light entering from large, east facing windows and glass doors. Main entrance into the lobby is by means of the portico, which also provides ample space and acoustical support for outside performance opportunities. An overpass which transects the lobby serves as a student lounge and study area. The instructional, administrative, and performance functions of the music department are housed in this singular facility which includes faculty studios, classrooms, practice rooms, the music library, and the central administrative offices.

    Classroom space includes four rooms: two general purpose classrooms each equipped with SMART Board® technology and two special music instruction rooms: the piano lab with 12 student piano stations, and the electronic music lab with 6 iMac and MIDI keyboard work stations. Piano faculty studios and piano major practice rooms are equipped with Steinway & Sons grand pianos. The architectural design of the Tarr Music Center provides structurally isolated performance spaces. The choral rehearsal room, seating 100 singers, is located in the south wing, and the band rehearsal hall is located in the north wing. Both rooms are designed with the acoustical needs of each group. The recital hall, which seats 250, is located in the west wing and houses a 32-rank Reuter teaching and recital organ as well as two Steinway & Sons pianos.

    TMC is located at 1620 Russell Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Ted Russell Hall

    Ted Russell Hall is a world class facility.  Comprised of 30,720 square feet, this expansive facility includes 23 faculty offices, office suites, workrooms, three conference rooms, a student lounge, two theater style smart classrooms, and four second-floor classrooms dedicated to computer-based courses that employ smart-technology and enhance 21st century teaching methods.

    Ted Russell Hall is located at 744 W. College St., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Warren Art Building

    The Warren Art Building was named in memory of Dr. James T. Warren, president of the college from 1927 until his death in January 1948.  During the fall of 1972, the 16,188 square-foot building was completely renovated and equipped for use by the Art Department.  Carson-Newman's Art Department is a vibrant, growing department, full of energetic artists and scholars. The Warren Art building is a hub for the creative arts that includes art studios, classrooms, a graphic design lab, photographic studios, and the Omega Art gallery.

    The Warren Art Building is located at 808 E. College St., Jefferson City, TN 37760

Residence Dorms

  • Alumni Hall

    Opened in September of 1956, this 41,560 square-foot residence hall has one apartment for the Residence Life Coordinator, a guest apartment, recreation rooms, study rooms, and a laundry room.  Alumni Hall was renovated in 2002 and a new parking lot was added in 2021. It currently accommodates 182 students.

    Alumni Hall is located at 2034 Branner Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Appalachian Commons

    The apartment-style residence hall was built in 2001 and is located behind the Tarr Music Center. This 19,250 square-foot residential area is known as Appalachian Commons and consists of two separate apartment complexes for men (LeConte) and women (Greenbriar). Greenbrier and LeConte are home to 60 upper-class men and women, respectively, who are housed in two-person and four-person apartments.  The apartments are fully furnished and provide residents with a living room, kitchen, and bathroom.  Each resident in Appalachian Commons has a private bedroom that is equipped with phone, cable, and computer connections.  In addition, there are coin-operated laundry facilities available in the building between Greenbrier and LeConte, which also houses the Appalachian Commons Residence Life Coordinator.

    Appalachian Commons is located at 734 W. College St., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Burnett Hall

    Located across the street from First Baptist Church, this 63,693 square-foot building was named for former college president Dr. J. M. Burnett.  The building accommodates 288 students.  It has an apartment for the Residence Life Coordinator, a guest room, study rooms, a prayer room, a recreation room, a kitchen, and a laundry room.  The parlor is named for the late Mrs. A. J. Foster in recognition of a substantial gift toward the erection of the building.

    Burnett Hall is located at 1607 Russell Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Butler Hall

    The central unit of this residence hall was opened in 1954, with additional wings added in 1958. It served for many years as a women's residence hall before converting the first floor into the new home for Enrollment Management and Admissions. The second floor of the North, South and East wings house the IT and Communications & Marketing departments. The entire West wing (added in 1968) comprises 73,802 square feet and serves as a housing facility for male students.

    Butler Hall is located at 1645 Russell Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Heritage Hall

    Built in 1964 and formerly called New Men's Hall, this 100,078 square-foot building was renamed Heritage Hall in the fall of 2001.  It accommodates 450 students and is the primary residence dorm for male students on campus. The South wing of Heritage Hall houses the administrative and faculty offices of the Nursing Department and a nursing skills laboratory.

    Heritage Hall is located at 821 N. College St., Jefferson City, TN 37760

Athletic Facilities

  • Burke-Tarr Stadium

    Burke-Tarr Stadium, completed in 2006, was named for Mr. James E. Burke and Dr. H. L.Tarr. The stadium, which includes Roy Harmon Field, is home to the Division 2 powerhouse Carson-Newman Eagles football team. The stadium holds up to 6,500 people and provides excellent facilities for sporting events and Spring Commencement. The stadium also houses the Ken Sparks Athletic Complex, which houses a state-of-the-art training facility, locker room, several meeting rooms and coaching offices.

    Burke-Tarr Stadium is located at 711 Davis St., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Holt Fieldhouse

    Holt Fieldhouse is a 34,441 square-foot multi-purpose building that was completed in 1959.  In 1961, the Board of Trustees named this building in honor of Sam B. "Frosty" Holt, who had for 35 years served as coach and director of athletics at his alma mater.  The main level of Holt houses a gymnasium for varsity competition with a seating capacity of 2,000, as well as athletic offices, the Carson-Newman Hall of Fame and hospitality room.  The lower level houses a state-of-the-art training room, varsity weight room, locker rooms for varsity sports, laundry and equipment issue area, and visitior's dressing facilities.

    Holt Fieldhouse is located inside the MSAC.

  • Lady Eagle Softball Complex

    The Lady Eagle Softball Complex is home of the Carson-Newman Lady Eagles softball team and is located at 615 Davis St., Jefferson City, TN 37760.

  • Silver Diamond Baseball Complex

    One of the best of its kind in the region, this facility was the gift of Mr. and Mrs. Allen Silver of Morristown, long-time supporters.  The facility includes offices for the coaches, a press box, a team clubhouse with locker rooms, shower facilities, and a team room for study, entertainment, and recreation.  It also has enclosed batting cages for practice in any weather dedicated to the memory of former baseball coach Bobby Wilson.

    The baseball complex is located below Burke-Tarr Stadium at 731 Davis St., Jefferson City, TN 37760

  • Tennis Complex

    The outdoor tennis complex at Carson-Newman features six, fully-litcourts with all-encompassed fencing. Both the C-N Men's and Women's tennis teams compete on these courts throughout the year, but the courts are also available to students and the public.

    The courts are located between the MSAC and the Lady Eagles Softball Complex.

  • McCown Field

    In May of 1958, the athletic field west of Burke-Tarr Stadium was named McCown Athletic Field, in honor of Dr.R. M McCown, a local phsyician, a former coach, and a long-time supporter of athletics at Carson-Newman. In 2009 field lighting was added to make night games possible and in 2011 the field sod was replaced. McCown field is the home to Men's and Women's soccer teams.

    McCown Field is located behind the MSAC at 1710 Pearl Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760

Visitor Accommodations