Disclosures and Consumer Information II

Senator Robert C. Byrd, a West Virginia Democrat and the United States Congress’ unofficial constitutional scholar, believes that American primary, secondary, and post-secondary students lack significant knowledge regarding the United States Constitution. In December 2004, Senator Byrd offered an amendment that was passed by both the United States House of Representatives and the Unites States Senate in an attempt to increase students’ knowledge about the Constitution.

The legislation requires that all educational institutions that receive federal funds implement educational programs related to the United States Constitution on September 17 of each year. September 17th was selected as the date for the celebration due to the fact that on September 17, 1787, the delegates to the Constitutional Convention met for the last time to sign the United States Constitution and present it to the American public. Click here to visit the official Constitution Day website.

For federal aid to pay for a course in your major, minor, or other degree requirement, if must be part of your approved Course Program of Study (CPos) and must count in the evaluation of your approved program using the degree evaluation tool. You need to make sure all courses count when you meet with your academic advisor and plan your schedule for each semester.

First: Officially Declare Your Major and Minor

It is essential that your major and minor are officially declared and noted in your student record. If you have been planning to declare or change a major or minor, but have not yet done so, you should consult with your academic advisor immediately to make the official declaration.

Courses can only be determined to be eligible based on the officially declared major and minor as noted in your student record
Second: Assumptions About Financial Aid Offers

Financial aid offers are based on the assumption that undergraduate students will enroll full-time and graduate students will enroll at least half-time in eligible coursework during the fall and spring semesters.

Third: Keep Your Eligibility

Remember that dropping or not attending your courses can negatively impact your eligibility for current and future aid. It is important that your discuss your Course Program of Study with your advisor when your enroll for next semester’s classes. if your current coursework is not correct, work with your advisot to make the appropriate changes to your major or minor.

Why is this important?

Taking courses that are not required to completed your program could result in your receiving less or no federal aid or in owing money back. Taking classes that are not in your Course Program of Study for your officially declared major and/or minor may result in a reduction of your overall financial aid offer since courses that are not eligible cannot be counted toward your full-time status. In other words, the full-time Cost of Attendance (COA) requirements for undergraduates says that you must be enrolled in at least 12 eligible credit hours. For example, if 9 of your 12 hours are in your Course Program of Study, but 3 of your hours do not count toward your major or minor, your COA will reflect that you are not a full-time student (only 3/4 time), which could reduce your state and university aid. Remember: We cannot award aid in excess of your Cost of Attendance.

What types of aid are affected by this?

Federal Aid (Examples: Pell Grant, FSEOG, Teach Grant, Direct Loans, and Work-study) may only be paid for eligible courses that count toward your program. state, university Aid, and other aid (TSAA Grant, HOPE Scholarship, C-N Grant, and Alternative Loans) are currently not subject to the same regulatory restrictions. However, your Cost of Attendance will be reduced for courses that are not counting towards the program of study; which can result in a lower about of state, university, and private aid that you may receive.

How does this affect Cost of Attendance?

The Cost of Attendance is an estimate of your cost to go to school for a specific amount of time (semester or year) and is based on your enrollment status, and we cannot award aid in excess of your Cost of Attendance. Enrollment status for financial aid is based on eligible courses only. If you are in 12 hours that count towards your program of study, you will be considered a full-time student for cost of attendance purposes. If you are enrolled in 12 hours and only 9 hours are required toward your officially declared program of study, your federal aid will be reduced to 3/4 time based on 9 hours, as will your Cost of Attendance. However if your Cost of Attendance allows, you may still be eligible for a full-time university grant/scholarship and/or TN state grant/scholarship. Federal Direct Loans require 1/2 time attendance (at least 6 credit hours). If you are enrolled in 6+ hours, but only 3-5 hours are required for your program of study, you will not be eligible to receive a Federal Direct Loan.

Enrollment Status Types UndergraduateGraduate
Full-time  12+ Credit Hours/semester  9+ Credit Hours/semester
Three Quarter Time  9-11 Credit Hours/semester  7-8 Credit Hours/semester
Half-time  6-8 Credit Hours/semester  6 Credit Hours/semester
Less than Half-time 1-5 Credit Hours/semester 1-5 Credit Hours/semester

If your federal aid has been reduced due to enrollment in coursework that does not apply towards your outstanding requirements in your program of study, you should contact your academic advisor to discuss your academic options.  Otherwise, if you have questions regarding financial aid, contact our office located in Butler Welcome Hall or by emailing

Initial Eligibility & Satisfactory Academic Progress (FASAP)
Initially, to be eligible to receive financial assistance, students must be enrolled in an eligible program.  Financial assistance is considered renewable up to 150% of the approved program of study, provided the student satisfies the standards of Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (FASAP) as outlined below.A student will be considered as making satisfactory progress in receiving financial assistance provided that:

  • The student is eligible to re-enroll at Carson-Newman University; and
  • The student is making progress at a rate not less than demonstrated by the following qualitative and quantitative scales:

Qualitative FASAP


Degree Type Number of Cumulative Credit Hours Attempted Minimum Cumulative GPA Required
Bachelors 1-30 1.50
31-45 1.70
46-59 1.90
60+ 2.00
Masters 1-9 2.75
9.5+ 3.0

Quantitative FASAP
In addition to the above, students must earn 67% of Attempted Credit Hours to qualify as listed below:

Attempted Credit Hours Minimum Credit Hours to Earn (67%)
30 20
24 16
12 8
9 6
6 or less 4

Maximum Timeframe

Type of Degree Number of Required Credits for Degree Maximum Cumulative Attempted Credits (150%)
Bachelors 120 180
Masters- Consult catalog for specific degree requirements 33+ 150%

Zero Term GPA (0.00)
If you have a 0.00 GPA in a term, the Registrar will determine if you completed and earned all F’s in your classes.  If the Registrar determines that you stopped attending every class, you will be processed by the Financial Aid Office as an unofficial withdrawal.  Refer to the “Withdrawal from Carson-Newman” section for more information.
FASAP Evaluation Process (Process Illustration)

  • REVIEW Each Term: Review for SAP will be conducted at the conclusion of each term, including summer.  Students who are determined to be ineligible for further aid will be notified.  It is your responsibility to ensure that lost eligibility is restored.
  • WARNING Status: Students will have one semester of WARNING on the first instance of a failed FASAP calculation. Warning notice will be sent to students’ CN email account if e-consent is on file.
  • UNSATISFACTORY Status: A subsequent calculation failing FASAP will result in Financial Assistance UNSATISFACTORY standing (suspension), and students will be ineligible for financial assistance unless they have a successful appeal. Unsatisfactory notice will be sent to CN email account if e-consent on file.
  • PROBATION Status: Students that filed a successful appeal from an unsatisfactory status will be granted a one term probation in which they will be eligible for financial aid.  After the probation term, students must meet the standards satisfactorily to continue aid eligibility.
  • W, F, or I or IP Grades: All grades of F, W, WP, WF, U, or I will not count as hours earned but will count as hours attempted. IP grades will count in attempted hours but will not factor into GPA.
  • REPEATED Hours: Repeated hours will count towards attempted hours, but may not be countable in enrollment status for the term depending upon number of times repeated for a grade.   For example, if you earned 3 hours with a grade of “D” twice, and you decide to repeat the course to earn a better grade, the repeated 3 hours will not count in your enrollment status for the term that it is a second repeat.  Hence, your enrollment status for the term will be calculated as: registered credit hours –  second or more repeated credit hours = enrollment status for federal financial aid purposes.  This is subject to change as Federal Regulations are subject to change.  All attempted hours will count against your 150% of degree credits limitation.
  • TRANSFER Credits: Transfer credits accepted by Carson-Newman University will also count in attempted and total earned hours.
  • TELS HOPE Awards:  Evaluation to determine continued eligibility for TELS HOPE awards will occur upon attempting 24, 48, 72, 96, and 120 hours for coursework completed after high school graduation and is a separate process than FASAP calculations.  If you fail to meet TELS SAP, you will be sent a written letter with important information, and future TELS awards may not be available to you.  Click HERE for more information regarding TELS HOPE continuation requirements. Your TELS HOPE GPA is not calculated the same as your CN GPA calculation.
  • APPEALS FASAP:  Students may appeal an unsatisfactory status for FASAP calculation.  Appeals must be made by the deadline given in each notification.  (Forms)
  • APPEALS TELS HOPE Loss: Students may appeal TELS HOPE loss on reasons other than GPA.

The following information regarding Carson-Newman University is available on the College Navigator website:
  • General Information
  • Tuition, Fees, and Estimated Student Expenses
  • Financial Aid
  • Net Price Enrollment
  • Admissions
  • Retention and Graduation Rates
  • Programs/Majors
  • Varsity Athletic Teams
  • Accreditation
  • Campus Security
  • Cohort Default Rates

Carson-Newman University College Navigator

Carson-Newman offers several Study Abroad Programs to enrich the college experience.  Many times, students may qualify to receive federal and/or state aid to help with the cost of a study abroad program.

Information on various programs are available here: Global Education Study Abroad Information

It is recommended that the financial aid forms and other required University approvals be completed no later than the following dates in order to meet all eligibility requirements.  Financial Aid reviews are not able to be made until all other University approvals are completed.

Study Abroad Semester Deadline for completion of all required forms
Fall Semester

June 1st

Spring Semester

October 1st

Summer Semester

March 1st  Additional Summer Information

Your specific program may have earlier deadlines.  If so, please submit required forms

at least 6 weeks prior to your program deadline.

University Aid is available for students studying through an approved exchange program.  University aid is not available for all other types of study abroad programs.  Students must also continue to meet all financial aid eligibility guidelines, such as Satisfactory Academic Progress.  Should financial aid be processed and it is determined that the student is no longer eligible, the aid will be cancelled and all cost associated with the Study Abroad becomes the student’s responsibility.

As a student employed in the Federal Work Study program at Carson-Newman, many questions and answers regarding your work study employment may be found in the Student Employment Handbook as it outlines the terms and conditions of the Federal Work Study program. Terms and conditions of student employment are subject to change based on change(s) in Federal or University policies. Feel free to contact our office with any questions.


Student Employment Handbook

Not all students will be selected for the verification process.  For those who are selected, Carson-Newman’s Office of Financial Aid is here to help.

Verification is a process used to confirm certain information you provided on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  Some students are selected by the U.S. Department of Education randomly or because FAFSA data was incomplete, estimated, or inconsistent, while others may be selected by our office based on conflicting information.

If you are selected for verification, Carson-Newman is required to collect documentation from you to confirm or correct the information reported on your FAFSA.  If selected, you will receive a letter detailing the documentation needed from you to complete the process.  The verification process ensures that eligible students receive all the aid for which they qualify.

Regardless of why you were chosen, our office will work with you to collect the proper documentation.  Carson-Newman may issue you an award letter with tentative aid, but we will not be able to apply aid to your student account until verification is complete.  Please understand that your financial aid is subject to change as a result of verification.

Not all students will need the same documentation, so pay special attention to your letter. Please do not send documents unless requested.  Generally, however, you will need at least the following:

It is important that all documents requested be returned as quickly as possible to avoid delays.  If you have amended your tax return(s), we will need a copy of the original and the amended version.  If you have requested an extension for filing your tax return(s), please send a copy of the extension until you are able to provide that filed tax information.  Completing this process as soon as possible cannot be overstressed.  We want to be able to give you accurate financial aid, rather than tentative aid that is subject to change.  Please understand that all information will be kept confidential in our office.  Once your file has been reviewed, it may be necessary to correct your FAFSA information. If we have corrected information while you are in verification, please do not correct your FAFSA back to what you originally filed, as this will create further delays.

All documents and forms may be mailed or faxed to the Office of Financial Aid.

Carson-Newman University
Office of Financial Aid
1646 Russell Avenue
Jefferson City, TN 37760
Fax: 865-471-2035
Please submit documentation no later than the following guidelines for each term:
Fall Term August 1st
Spring Term December 1st
Summer Term May 1st
Other Terms Two weeks prior to start date

For questions about the verification process, please contact the Office of Financial Aid by phone at (800) 678-9061, (865) 471-3247, or by email at

The Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship (TELS) HOPE funding requires a student to meet certain renewal GPAs at each renewal benchmark:

Attempted Hours Benchmark Renewal Cumulative TELS HOPE GPA Required
24 2.75
48 2.75
72 & 96 3.0


Cumulative GPA of 2.75-2.99 AND a semester GPA of at least a 3.0 in the preceding term of receiving the award (provisional status)

The TELS HOPE GPA may not be the same as your Carson-Newman University GPA, so use the following Excel calculator to determine your estimated TELS HOPE GPA:

HOPE GPA Calculator (Excel Version)

Students without Excel may review the calculation process below:

TYPE of Credit Hours on Transcript Do credits count for TELS HOPE GPA? Do quality points count for TELS HOPE GPA? Do credits count in C-N University GPA? Do quality points count for C-N Unversity GPA?
Graded Courses Yes Yes Yes Yes
Repeats- R Yes Yes Replaces- does not average Replaces- does not average
Dual Enrolled Courses No No Yes Yes
 CLEP Hours  No No  Yes No
 W credits  Yes  No No No
WF credits Yes Yes Yes Yes

Official TELS HOPE GPAs will be calculated by the University and are completed at the end of every semester for every Tennessee HOPE eligible student.  Students are notified via email when the official calculation indicates a student is no longer eligible for lottery funding.  Students that have lost HOPE Lottery funding are eligible to regain at the next benchmark by meeting the renewal GPA requirements.

The TELS HOPE Lottery funding eligibility ends when a student has attained a baccalaureate degree OR has attempted 120 semester hours OR 5 years have passed from initial enrollment at any post-secondary institution—whichever occurs first.  Exceptions may be available to students with documented medical disabilities.  Students enrolled in a program of study greater than 120 hours may receive the award for up to 136 attempted hours OR the number of hours required to earn degree, whichever is less.  Most undergraduate degree programs at Carson-Newman University require 120 semester hours, so funding ceases at 120 attempted hours.

Apply for Summer Aid

To be eligible for summer aid, you must complete the FAFSA.  C-N’s federal school code is 003481.

Go to FAFSA 

The 2019-20 FAFSA is the current financial aid application that must be on file with our office for the summer 2020 term.  If you receive aid from us during fall 2019/spring 2020, you already have a FAFSA on file for the summer.  For summer 2020: You should register for all your summer classes by May 8 and accept your summer aid in your MyCN Account before your first scheduled class begins to ensure aid processing by the payment due date.

Processing will begin after summer registration opens- approximately April 20th. Processing is in order of term start dates. Check your C-N email for aid notification(s).

If you qualify for Tuition Waiver, please make sure that your application is on file with the Human Resource Office. Email our office with the number of credits you have registered to take for faster processing since we will only check the list of eligible awardees at the start of each module.

TN HOPE recipients taking classes at another University should meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to make sure the appropriate paperwork is completed by May 8th.

Viewing your Aid

Once the FAFSA is complete and you have registered for classes, your financial aid eligibility for summer will be processed and viewable through your MyCN Account within two weeks.  You will be sent an email to your C-N email account when your aid is ready to view.  Your initial aid eligibility will be calculated based on your projected enrollment as noted in the Registrar’s file and information from your FAFSA.

Should your enrollment change, your projected aid WILL change. The Office of Financial Aid will conduct audits at the census date of each module, but it is your responsibility to notify our office ahead of time if your class schedule changes for any reason.

You must have your FAFSA and any other required paperwork completed as soon as possible since federal aid must be processed before the end of your enrollment during the summer.


Frequently Asked Questions

How many hours do I need to enroll to get Financial Aid?– You must be enrolled at least 6 credit hours (half-time) to receive most forms of financial aid. TN Promise Students must be at least 12 hours (full-time) and submit service hours by April 1 for summer funding.

I received a notice that I am not eligible for financial aid.  What other options for aid do I have to pay for my classes?-   If you are an undergraduate, dependent student, one of your parents may apply for a summer loan through a Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS). If your parent is denied, we can offer you an additional Unsubsidized Stafford loan (provided your annual limit has not been reached), which you then must accept. For more Parent Plus Loan Information, visit  Additionally, private loans are available to research via the internet. Please be aware that alternative loans should be borrowed from a trusted source of lending. Carson-Newman University now has a recommended lender list to assist students in finding an alternative loan option, but students are welcome to borrow from a lender not on the list as well. Private/Alternative Student Loans

Why did my aid change after I began enrollment?– Your financial aid is based on your enrollment status of either full-time, three-quarter time, half-time, or less than half-time.  It is also based on meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards, and/or State benchmark guidelines for HOPE scholarship, etc.  If, after you begin enrollment, our office determines you are no longer eligible for the financial aid offered, we are required to update your eligibility which can mean removing some or all of your aid.  You will be sent a notice to your C-N email account any time your aid has been revised.

Am I eligible for a Federal Pell Grant this summer?– If you have received your annual fall and spring disbursements limits, you may qualify for a summer disbursement if you enroll at least half-time.  Federal Pell Grant has lifetime eligibility rules which limit students to the equivalent of twelve full-time semesters of attendance. Therefore, students that have reached lifetime limits will not be eligible for continued Federal Pell Grant disbursements.

Am I eligible for my Federal Direct Loans this summer?- If you have received your full annual grade level limit during fall and spring, you will not be eligible for a summer disbursement unless you have progressed to the next grade level.  If you have not borrowed your fall/spring annual limit, you will be eligible for the amount remaining in your annual limit within your cost of attendance.  All first-time Federal Direct Loan borrowers at C-N must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note.  If you have borrowed at a previous institution, simply log into your FSA account and add C-N to receive your Entrance Counseling electronically. Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Notes for Federal Direct Loans may be completed online at You will need your FSA ID.

When will I receive my aid?- Please note that if your enrollment of at least half-time is between two or more summer sessions, loans will be disbursed in more than one disbursement after you begin attendance in the first summer session. The first disbursement will occur after the census date of that term with a second disbursement scheduled after the next census date that you will be attending. Please be aware of this when looking at your student bill. Summer fees charged in excess of summer aid are the responsibility of the student and must be paid according to the policies of the Student Accounts Office. It is advised that you review important summer terms and dates (Registrar’s Office). Study abroad has different dates of disbursement.  Please see that information at the bottom.

When will I get my credit balance refund?–  If your financial aid exceeds your charges, your refund check will be issued by the Student Accounts Office within 14 days of your disbursement date credit. Your loans will be credited to your account in multiple disbursements based on your class schedule.  For more information, contact our office.

Am I eligible for University Scholarships and Grants?– Funds for University merit scholarship and need-based grant programs are reserved for use during the fall and spring academic terms only. No institutional funds will be awarded for the summer semester except for Tuition Waiver and Accelerated Nursing programs (students must have the appropriate program type listing accelerated nursing for our office to make that determination).

How do I get the HOPE Scholarship in Summer?– You must enroll for at least 6 credit hours.  Additionally, you must have initially received HOPE in Fall 2014 or thereafter. This summer HOPE will be processed from your 19-20 FAFSA on file. You must also be eligible for HOPE with your TELS HOPE GPA prior to the start of Mayterm. Students at benchmarks (24,48,72,96 TELS attempted hours) must also be meeting continued eligibility with the necessary GPA. This may require evaluation of spring grades, which are to be submitted by faculty in May. More information on continued eligibility is available in the Financial Aid Handbook (you may calculate your TELS GPA using this link: TELS GPA Information). The amount you may qualify to receive will depend on your hours enrolled, additional GAM eligibility, or additional Aspire eligibility. The amounts will range between $1,000-$2,750 for coursework at C-N, depending on part-time or full-time status and specific program eligibility.  If you are attending a Tennessee 2-year community college as a transient student, the amounts will range between $500-$1750, depending on part-time or full-time status and specific program eligibility (see next question below for additional information).

How do I get HOPE to apply to another college this summer?- You may be eligible for summer HOPE if you meet the above eligibility guidelines and are taking courses at another HOPE eligible TN college this summer. Degree seeking students at Carson-Newman that would like to take coursework at another HOPE eligible TN college or university must first be approved to take courses by your advisor and Registrar by completing the Authorization to Take Courses at Another College form and complete the TELS Consortium Agreement for Transient Students form. Please meet with or email a Financial Aid Counselor for further guidance. IMPORTANT: All summer hours will count towards TELS attempted hours and TELS GPA.  Every transcript MUST be submitted to the Registrar’s Office at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the fall term. Fall HOPE disbursements will be held until all transcripts have been received and evaluated for continued HOPE eligibility. Also, summer disbursements will be made to your student account first. Student Accounts will then need to issue you a credit balance refund if applicable. You will then take the proceeds to your transient school. You may be required to make payments to the school prior to your TELS HOPE disbursement, so plan accordingly.

I am working on my second bachelor’s degree or I am not seeking a degree from C-N.  Am I eligible for aid at C-N?-  If you are working on your second bachelor’s degree, you may qualify for limited amount and types of student loans.  If you are a non-degree seeking student eligible for HOPE Scholarship this summer, please make sure to complete a consortium agreement through your home school, as you will not be eligible for other types of aid.  Please speak with a Student Accounts representative to make payment on your account before classes begin.

I am studying abroad this summer.  How do I get aid for my classes?– First, contact the Global Education Office. They will instruct you on further steps. You will also need to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to complete other required forms. An Authorization to Take Courses at Another College will also have to be approved and on file in the Registrar’s Office.  Review our Study Abroad page for more information.

Please note that you will need to make arrangements to pre-pay for your program if the payment is due in advance. The earliest that aid disbursement will be set is the start date of the program. Additionally, if disbursement is from a loan period that is a single term, the loan is required to be disbursed in two equal installments. The first installment will be no earlier than the start day of the program, and the second disbursement will be at the midpoint of the program/term.

Any charges owed to Carson-Newman for the term will be deducted from the posting of aid first, and the remainder will be available for a credit balance refund. Additionally, the credit balance refund checks that are generated from aid disbursements will be paid to the student. Students should make arrangements for checks to be deposited by their financial power of attorney while abroad.

I have decided not to enroll in summer classes.  How do I cancel the aid I have been awarded?– If you have not accepted your aid, simply log into your C-N Connect Account and reject your aid before the first day of class.  If you have already accepted your aid, email from your C-N email account before the first day of class, and we will cancel your aid for you.  To avoid charges on your account, you must drop all your courses before the first day of class.

I started my classes, but I have decided not to stay enrolled in summer classes.  What do I need to do?–  You need to speak to a Financial Aid Counselor BEFORE dropping any courses.  If you drop courses after the first day of class, you could be responsible for repaying financial aid to C-N.  Also, HOPE and Promise recipients could permanently lose those scholarships, so aid recipients from those programs should not drop courses.  See our Withdrawing from the University page for more information.

I will complete my degree requirements this summer.  Is there any other paperwork I need to complete?– If you have borrowed student loans, you will need to complete Exit Counseling so that you understand your rights and responsibilities as you enter repayment on your loans.  If you will be finished with our degree requirements, contact our office for more guidance.

Part-time degree seeking students qualify for limited aid.  Each student that will be enrolling for less than 12 credit hours each term should notify our office as soon as possible ( so that we may more accurately reflect aid that you are eligible to receive.  In generating your Award Letter, we may have assumed full-time attendance.  Your student bill will then be incorrectly listing full-time aid with part-time charges, giving you the impression that you may not owe for your registered courses.

At the census date each term (last day to make a schedule change), our office will adjust aid downward based upon your actual enrollment if less than full-time.

*IMPORTANT NOTE: Please be aware that after the census date, you should take care to NOT change your schedule unless you consult with our office first.  This is extremely important for TN HOPE Scholarship recipients. TN HOPE recipients that fail to contact our office before making a schedule change after the census date could forfeit TN HOPE Scholarship funding. 

Below are some important aid programs and the amounts that you may qualify based on attendance each term.  If you have other programs not listed, please contact our office so that we may assist you:
Undergraduate Students, seeking first degree:

Aid Type 3/4 time attendance (9-11 hrs) 1/2 time attendance (6-8 hrs) Less than 1/2 time
Any type of Carson-Newman Assistance such as merit scholarships, need- based grants or endowments $0 $0 $0
Federal Pell Grant Amount Varies based on FAFSA results (EFC)- Depending upon EFC, not all students will qualify for a prorated Pell, but the Federal Pell Amount will be less than your full-time allotment.* *Same as 3/4 time *Same as 3/4 time
Federal SEOG Grant 75% of your full-time award 50% of your full-time award 25% of your full-time award
TN TSAA Grant 75% of your full-time award 50% of your full-time award $0
TN HOPE Scholarship* see important note 75% of your full-time award 50% of your full-time award $0
Federal TEACH Grant 75% of your full-time award 50% of your full-time award 25% of your full-time award
Federal Work-Study Amount could vary based upon your adjusted cost of attendance, but usually a student is eligible for the same full-time award amounts.* *Same as 3/4 time *Same as 3/4 time
Federal Direct Stafford Loans Amount could vary based upon your adjusted cost of attendance, but usually a student is eligible for the same full-time award amounts.* *Same as 3/4 time $0

Graduate Students:
(University Merit Scholarships, Need-based Grants, and Endowments are not available for Graduate Students regardless of hours enrolled)

Aid Type                                     3/4 time attendance (7-8 hrs) 

1/2 time attendance

(5-6 hrs) 

Less than 1/2 time 
Federal TEACH Grant  75% of your full-time award  50% of your full-time award  25% of your full-time award
Federal Direct Stafford Loans  Amount could vary based upon your adjusted cost of attendance, but usually a student is eligible for the same full-time award amounts.*  *Same as 3/4 time  $0

Updated Information as of November 2014 and Proposals availablehere.

Although the Development, Relief, and Education of Alien Minors (DREAM) Act has never been passed into law by Congress, certain eligible young immigrants may now be eligible to apply for temporary relief called “deferred action.” Deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) provides individuals who are not in lawful immigration status and entered into the United States as minors a two-year grant of deferred action.  The DACA does not provide a pathway to citizenship, nor does it confer lawful immigration status upon recipients.  It does allow for work authorization, application for social security numbers, and potentially obtaining a driver’s license, depending upon the state of domicile.
DACA Qualifications:

  1. Entry into the U.S. before the age of 16;
  2. Five years of continuous residence and actual physical presence in the U.S. since June 15, 2007, and on June 15, 2012;
  3. Enrollment in or graduation from high school or other qualifying educational program or obtained GED certificate;
  4. No convictions for felonies, significant misdemeanors, multiple misdemeanors, and no national security or public safety threats; and
  5. At least 15 years of age at the time of application but not more than 30 years of age on June 15, 2012.
  6. Individuals are required to pay a $465 filing fee to Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and individuals should seek assistance from a qualified immigration attorney or non-profit organization.
  7. More information is available from Department of Homeland Security.

DACA Recipients and Financing College:

In certain states, undocumented immigrants are eligible to pay in-state tuition rates at public universities.  The good news is that Carson-Newman’s tuition and fees are the same regardless of state residency.  However, DACA recipients are currently ineligible to receive federal student aid as they do not currently fit into any of the U.S. Department of Education’s categories for eligible noncitizens.  Additionally, undocumented students are also ineligible for most state financial aid programs.

Carson-Newman does award merit aid to undocumented students upon acceptance even though students may not qualify for federal and state aid.  Additionally, DACA recipients should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  The student must have a Social Security number to complete the FAFSA online.  This FAFSA will be used by Carson-Newman solely to determine if an undocumented student may also qualify for Carson-Newman need based aid.  In comparison to public colleges who may charge out-of-state tuition, the cost of attending Carson-Newman is many times more affordable.

DACA students should also explore sources for outside funding.  Students may be eligible for private scholarships, depending upon eligibility requirements.  Students should conduct free scholarship searches in pursuit of funding.

Important Considerations for DACA Recipients:

  1. DACA program is still new and developing.  Some issues remain to be resolved.
  2. Since DACA does not confer an immigration status, students who have received DACA or have a pending application for DACA should not travel or study abroad.
  3. Students who choose to work while in school should understand that personal earned income is taxable and well as certain scholarships.  Since federal tax filing categories for DACA recipients are not yet clear, the exact tax consequences for DACA recipients have not been determined.

What’s Next?

  1. Apply for admission to Carson-Newman.
  2. Upon acceptance to Carson-Newman, students will be sent a merit aid offer.
  3. If DACA is right for you, then take appropriate steps to make an application, but read and consult appropriate legal advice.
  4. Students with Social Security numbers may file the FAFSA.
  5. Financial Aid Award Notifications will be sent to students that are determined to be eligible for need-based Carson-Newman assistance.
  6. If DACA is not right for you, or you do not have a Social Security number to file the FAFSA, and you have been accepted to Carson-Newman, please contact our Admissions Office regarding options.  Students will also need to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor and should have their student and parent(s)’ income information available at appointment time.

Please contact us for additional information regarding enrolling to Carson-Newman.  We are here to help students afford a great education at a great price!

The Office of Financial Aid encourages you to take the time to learn financial basics.  If you are a young adult just beginning your college education or ready to graduate with your degree, learning how to manage your money should be a priority in your life.  We want you to become financially educated.  With the help of the National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE), CashCourse is available to Carson-Newman Students.

Start now by clicking the link below:

Student complaints relating to consumer protection laws that involve distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) must first be filed with Carson-Newman to seek resolution.

Complainants not satisfied with the outcome of Carson-Newman’s internal process may appeal, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission at

For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of SARA or the laws, standards or regulations incorporated by the SARA Policies and Standards ( have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of SARA.

For a list of SARA member States, please visit the NC-SARA website ( Students residing in non-SARA states should consult their respective State of residence for further instruction for filing a complaint.

To see an overview of the process: SARA Student Complaint Process: StudentComplaintProcedure