The mission of KON (www.kon.org) is to empower leaders through scholarship, research, and leadership.
- Kappa Beta Xi chapter membership is open to all majors in FCS.
- Membership requirements include completion of 8 hours in FCS courses plus 45 total hours, second-semester sophomore standing, and rank in the top 25% of all FCS majors.
- Benefits of membership include opportunities for graduate scholarships, fellowships, internship scholarships, and local and national leadership opportunities.
- KON national initiatives include an on-line Undergraduate Research Journal, Appreciative Inquiry, Kids and Careers in the Human Sciences, Reflective Human Action, Mentoring, a Matter of Ethics, and Seven Wonders of the Socially Responsible World.
- C-N's Kappa Beta Xi Chapter of KON has received 26 Chapter of Excellence Awards! This is more awards than any other KON chapter since its inception in 1980.
Adviser: Dr. Amber Roth
Spring 2018 KON initiates, current members, and FCS faculty and staff
Pictured left to right, back row: Ms. Tammy Hickle, Rachel R., Dr. Kim Johnson, Aaron W., Elly C., Dr. Amber Roth, and Ms. Nancy Farris.
Pictured left to right, middle row: Dr. Heather Whaley, Holly K., Sarah S., Eliza P., Maggie M., Ashley K., Lindsey M., Kylie L., and Dr. Kitty Coffey.
Pictured left to right, front row: Hope A., Kaitlyn S., Peyton C. (initiate), Sara S. (initiate), Abby H. (initiate), and Dr. Lisa Connor (initiate).
Not pictured: Janelle B. (initiate) and Natalie H. (initiate).
Pictured above: As part of our programming required by National Office, KON completes a service project every academic year. For 2017-2018, KON prepared and implemented a program for the 20 preschoolers in the Child Development Lab (CDL) on the topics of Education and Environment (Sustainability), two of the Seven Wonders of the Socially Responsible World.
Pictured above: Group story about recycling and being “earth friendly”.
Pictured above: Coloring recycled egg cartons before planting grass seeds.