Purpose: The c-nvolved Service-Learning Mini-Grants are designed to provide funding for integration of service-learning experience into academic curriculum.
Service-learning is a pedagogy that connects the academic curriculum with the concerns students have for their community and their world. The results produce lifelong lessons for the students and foster better communities for us all. From a faculty perspective, service-learning is a researched-based method where guided or classroom learning is applied through actions that address real community needs and allows the student to reflect on the experience.
Service-Learning Mini-Grants will be awarded one per course with awarded funds totaling as much as $500. The mini-grants may be used to pay for expenses related to project development and implementation. Common expenses could include, but are not limited to: project supplies, resource materials, printing services, supplemental texts, or travel to service-learning sites.
Criteria: The following criteria should be clearly articulated in the application.
- Course learning objectives.
- Application of theoretical knowledge and skills in real life situations.
- Explanation of direct community benefit, building upon the assets of the Community Partner resulting in a reciprocal relationship.
- Opportunities for students to reflect upon experiences, connecting service with the course’s learning objectives.
- Plans to assess the c-nvolved Critical Reflection Student Learning Outcome.
Application Process: Complete and submit the application provided below by September 3, 2019. If you have any questions, please direct these to c-nvolved Director Dr. Christine Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Following completion of the project, all relevant receipts and invoices for purchases made with the awarded mini-grant funds will need to be submitted to Dr. Jones (C-N Box 71879), along with a brief summary explaining the expenses.
Regarding assessment: Faculty will work in conjunction and collaboration with Dr. Jones in completing any service-learning documentation and assessment.