Request Degree Program Information

Clicking the "Submit" button above constitutes your express written consent to be called and/or texted by Carson-Newman University at the number(s) you provided, regarding furthering your education. You understand that these calls may be generated using automated technology.

FAQs for Graduate Studies in Counseling

Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for your interest in our Graduate Studies in Counseling programs, which include several degree options that allow you to pursue advanced education on your schedule.

Carson-Newman offers a masters degree training in two areas of counseling, i.e., Professional School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling.  We also offer a Dual Degree Educational Specialist degree for advanced training with two areas of concentration, e.g., mental health counseling and school counseling.

• What does it cost to get my M.S. degree in Counseling at Carson-Newman?
Current tuition rate for a graduate credit in Graduate Studies in Counseling at Carson-Newman is $390, which is highly competitive with other training program.

• Can a working adult take graduate courses in counseling at Carson-Newman?
Yes, in fact most students in our program are working adults. For that reason, we offer a hybrid counseling training program in which some classes are online, some in traditional classroom and most combine both forms of delivery. Traditional classroom meetings are held on campus in late afternoon and evening times.

• How long will it take me to complete training in Professional School Counseling? In Clinical Mental Health Counseling?
It depends on how many courses you complete each semester. In Professional School Counseling, students usually complete the program within 6 to 8 semesters. In Clinical Mental Health Counseling, students typically complete the program within 7 to 9 semesters.

• What is the Dual Degree Program?
We are so excited to offer students the opportunity to earn two degrees toward licensure in two fields of counseling: school counseling and clinical mental health counseling. The Dual Degree in the Counseling program is designed for students who wish to study both Professional Counseling School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling, but wish to earn more than another masters degree. In the Dual Degree in Counseling program, students earn both a Master of Science in Counseling (MSC) degree and an Educational Specialist (Ed.S.) degree. Both areas of concentration are completed at the same time and both degrees are awarded at the same time.  For more information, contact Dr. Nathan West at

• How do I apply to Carson-Newman M.S. in Counseling program?
You must complete the online application for Graduate Studies admissions that can be found here:

• What accreditation's are held by Carson-Newman's Graduate Studies in Counseling programs?
Graduate Studies in Counseling Programs are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). 

In addition, our Professional School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling programs are in process of review for national accreditation by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP).

• Are the courses offered online?
We offer courses online and in the traditional classroom setting. Most of our courses are offered as hybrid, e.g., combination of online and in classroom sessions. Traditional face-to-face class sessions meet late afternoons and early evenings to accommodate our working adults.

• Are any scholarships available?
We have limited graduate assistant positions available for GSC students, but the positions are highly competitive. An online application for graduate assistantships is available at:

• How many courses do students typically take at a time?
Students usually take two or three courses each semester.

Adult and Graduate Studies
1646 Russell Avenue
Jefferson City, TN 37760

College Rankings Best Baccalaureate College 2015 Yellow Ribbon Participating School