Request Degree Program Information

Clicking the "Submit" button above constitutes your express written consent to be called and/or texted by Carson-Newman University at the number(s) you provided, regarding furthering your education. You understand that these calls may be generated using automated technology.

Information for Out-of-State Students

Welcome | First Steps | Apps for SuccessCourse Tour  | 
Find Help  |  Peer Advice  | Next Steps  | Online Home |


Carson-Newman welcomes students from many different areas of the United States, Canada and world-wide. In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunities Act of 2008, the U.S. Department of Education conducted a Negotiated Rule Making Process in 2010, and institutions offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student's state.

Accrediting Body Grievance Procedure
Carson-Newman is accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral degrees. The Commission expects individuals to attempt to resolve issues through all means available to the complainant, including following the institution's own published grievance procedures, before submitting a compliant to the Commission. Therefore, the Commission’s usual practice is not to consider a complaint that is currently in administrative proceedings, including institutions' proceedings, or in litigation. In order to be considered, formal complaints must be submitted in writing using the Commission’s Complaint against Institutions: Information Sheet and Form, signed and sent to the attention of the President of SACSCOC by the complainant, as indicated on the SACSCOC Website:
To file a complaint against an institution accredited by the SACSCOC, complete the Commission’s Complaint Form and send two print copies to the President, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097. (To access the Commission’s complaint policy, procedures, and the Complaint Form, please see Complaint Procedures Against the Commission or Its Accredited Institutions.)
Complaint Process for Out-of-State Students

Out-of-state distance learning students who would like to file a complaint with a state agency may do so with the state in which they reside. Find your state listed below to access the information for contacting the state agency responsible for complaints regarding out-of-state distance education programs.

The University department responsible for overseeing student complaints is the Office of Academic  Affairs: 

Office of the Provost
1646 Russell Avenue
Fite Administration Building
Jefferson City, TN 37760
Office Telephone: 865-471-3219

If after following the college procedure the issue cannot be resolved internally and the student seeks additional resolution, students can refer to the contacts below for the appropriate state agency or accrediting body.

Out-of-State Student Grievance Contact Information

Download PDF Here 

College Rankings Best Baccalaureate College 2015 Yellow Ribbon Participating School