Apply for Aid

To be eligible for most summer aid, you must complete the FAFSA.  C-N's federal school code is 003481.  Also, keep in mind that all federal regulations that apply during the fall and spring semesters also apply during summer, such as the Course Program of Study (CPOS) requirements for federal and state aid.

To find the cost of summer courses at C-N, go to our Tuition & Costs page.

Go to FAFSA 

The 2021-22 FAFSA is the financial aid application that must be on file with our office for the summer 2022 term.  If you receive aid from us during fall 2021/spring 2022, you already have a FAFSA on file for the summer.  For summer 2022: You should register for all your summer classes by May 8 and accept your summer aid in your MyCN Account before your first scheduled class begins to ensure aid processing by the payment due date.

Processing will begin after summer registration has been open for a few weeks to allow students to register for summer. Processing summer aid is in order of term start dates. Check your C-N email for aid notification(s).

If you qualify for Tuition Waiver, please make sure that your application is on file with the Human Resource Office. Email our office with the number of credits you have registered to take for faster processing since we will only check the list of eligible awardees at the start of each module.

TN HOPE recipients taking classes at another University should meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to make sure the appropriate paperwork is completed by May 6th. A TELS Consortium Agreement for Transient Students must be on file with our office before any state aid may be applied at another institution.


Viewing My Aid

Once the FAFSA is complete and you have registered for classes, your financial aid eligibility for summer will be processed and viewable through your MyCN Account.  You will be sent an email to your C-N email account when your aid is ready to view.  Your initial aid eligibility will be calculated based on your projected enrollment as noted in the Registrar's file and information from your FAFSA.

Should your enrollment change, your projected aid WILL change. The Financial Aid Office will conduct audits at the census date of each module, but it is your responsibility to notify our office ahead of time if your class schedule changes for any reason.

You must have your FAFSA and any other required paperwork completed as soon as possible since federal aid must be processed before the end of your enrollment during the summer.


Frequently Asked Questions

How many hours do I need to enroll to get Financial Aid?- You must be enrolled at least 6 credit hours (half-time) to receive most forms of financial aid. TN Promise Students must be at least 12 hours (full-time) and submit service hours by April 1 for summer funding.

I received a notice that I am not eligible for financial aid.  What other options for aid do I have to pay for my classes?-   If you are an undergraduate, dependent student, registered at least half-time, one of your parents may apply for a summer loan through a Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS). If your parent is denied, we can offer you an additional Unsubsidized Stafford loan (provided your annual limit has not been reached), which you then must accept. For more Parent Plus Loan Information, visit  Additionally, private loans are available to research via the internet. Please be aware that alternative loans should be borrowed from a trusted source of lending. Carson-Newman University now has a recommended lender list to assist students in finding an alternative loan option, but students are welcome to borrow from a lender not on the list as well. Private/Alternative Student Loans

Why did my aid change after I began enrollment?- Your financial aid is based on your enrollment status of either full-time, three-quarter time, half-time, or less than half-time.  It is also based on meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards, and/or State benchmark guidelines for HOPE scholarship, etc.  If, after you begin enrollment, our office determines you are no longer eligible for the financial aid offered, we are required to update your eligibility which can mean removing some or all of your aid.  You will be sent a notice to your C-N email account any time your aid has been revised.

Am I eligible for a Federal Pell Grant this summer?- If you have received your annual fall and spring disbursements limits, you may qualify for a summer disbursement if you enroll at least half-time.  Federal Pell Grant has lifetime eligibility rules which limit students to the equivalent of twelve full-time semesters of attendance. Therefore, students that have reached lifetime limits will not be eligible for continued Federal Pell Grant disbursements.

Am I eligible for my Federal Direct Loans this summer?- If you have received your full annual grade level limit during fall and spring, you will not be eligible for a summer disbursement unless you have progressed to the next grade level.  If you have not borrowed your fall/spring annual limit, you will be eligible for the amount remaining in your annual limit within your cost of attendance.  All first-time Federal Direct Loan borrowers at C-N must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note.  If you have borrowed at a previous institution, simply log into your FSA account and add C-N to receive your Entrance Counseling electronically. Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Notes for Federal Direct Loans may be completed online at You will need your FSA ID. 

When will I receive my aid?- Please note that if your enrollment of at least half-time is between two or more summer sessions, loans will be disbursed in more than one disbursement after you begin attendance in the first summer session. The first disbursement will occur after the census date of that term with a second disbursement scheduled after the next census date that you will be attending. Please be aware of this when looking at your student bill. Summer fees charged in excess of summer aid are the responsibility of the student and must be paid according to the policies of the Student Accounts Office. It is advised that you review important summer terms and dates (Registrar's Office). Study abroad has different dates of disbursement.  Please see that information at the bottom.

When will I get my credit balance refund?-  If your financial aid exceeds your charges, your refund check will be issued by the Student Accounts Office within 14 days of your disbursement date credit. Your loans will be credited to your account in multiple disbursements based on your class schedule.  For more information, contact our office.

Am I eligible for University Scholarships and Grants?- Funds for University merit scholarship and need-based grant programs are reserved for use during the fall and spring academic terms only. No institutional funds will be awarded for the summer semester except for Tuition Waiver and Accelerated Nursing programs (students must have the appropriate program type listing accelerated nursing for our office to make that determination).

How do I get the HOPE Scholarship in Summer?- You must enroll for at least 6 credit hours.  Additionally, you must have initially received HOPE in Fall 2015 or thereafter. This summer HOPE will be processed from your 21-22 FAFSA on file. You must also be eligible for HOPE with your TELS HOPE GPA prior to the start of Mayterm. Students at benchmarks (24,48,72,96 TELS attempted hours) must also be meeting continued eligibility with the necessary GPA. This may require evaluation of spring grades, which are to be submitted by faculty in May. More information on continued eligibility is available in the Financial Aid Handbook (you may calculate your TELS GPA using this link: TELS GPA Information). The amount you may qualify to receive will depend on your hours enrolled, additional GAM eligibility, or additional Aspire eligibility. The amounts will range between $1,000-$2,750 for coursework at C-N, depending on part-time or full-time status and specific program eligibility.  If you are attending a Tennessee 2-year community college as a transient student, the amounts will range between $500-$1750, depending on part-time or full-time status and specific program eligibility (see next question below for additional information). 

How do I get HOPE to apply to another college this summer?- You may be eligible for summer HOPE if you meet the above eligibility guidelines and are taking courses at another HOPE eligible TN college this summer. Degree seeking students at Carson-Newman that would like to take coursework at another HOPE eligible TN college or university must first be approved to take courses by your advisor and Registrar by completing the Authorization to Take Courses at Another College form and complete the TELS Consortium Agreement for Transient Students form. Please meet with or email a Financial Aid Counselor for further guidance. IMPORTANT: All summer hours will count towards TELS attempted hours and TELS GPA.  Every transcript MUST be submitted to the Registrar's Office at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the fall term if possible. Fall HOPE disbursements will be held until all transcripts have been received and evaluated for continued HOPE eligibility. Also, summer disbursements will be made to your student account first. Student Accounts will then need to issue you a credit balance refund if applicable. You will then take the proceeds to your transient school. You may be required to make payments to the school prior to your TELS HOPE disbursement, so plan accordingly.

I am working on my second bachelor's degree or I am not seeking a degree from C-N.  Am I eligible for aid at C-N?-  If you are working on your second bachelor's degree, you may qualify for limited amount and types of student loans.  If you are a non-degree seeking student eligible for HOPE Scholarship this summer, please make sure to complete a consortium agreement through your home school, as you will not be eligible for other types of aid.  Please speak with a Student Accounts representative to make payment on your account before classes begin.

I am studying abroad this summer.  How do I get aid for my classes?- First, contact the Global Education Office. They will instruct you on further steps. You will also need to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to complete other required forms. An Authorization to Take Courses at Another College will also have to be approved and on file in the Registrar’s Office.  Review our Study Abroad page for more information.

Please note that you will need to make arrangements to pre-pay for your program if the payment is due in advance. The earliest that aid disbursement will be set is the census date of the program. Additionally, if disbursement is from a loan period that is a single term, the loan is required to be disbursed in two equal installments. The first installment will be no earlier than the start day of the program, and the second disbursement will be at the midpoint of the program/term.

Any charges owed to Carson-Newman for the term will be deducted from the posting of aid first, and the remainder will be available for a credit balance refund. Additionally, the credit balance refund checks that are generated from aid disbursements will be paid to the student. Students should make arrangements for checks to be deposited by their financial power of attorney while abroad.

I have decided not to enroll in summer classes.  How do I cancel the aid I have been awarded?- If you have not accepted your aid, simply log into your C-N Connect Account and reject your aid before the first day of class.  If you have already accepted your aid, email from your C-N email account before the first day of class, and we will cancel your aid for you.  To avoid charges on your account, you must drop all your courses before the first day of class.

I started my classes, but I have decided not to stay enrolled in summer classes.  What do I need to do?-  You need to speak to a Financial Aid Counselor BEFORE dropping any courses.  If you drop courses after the first day of class, you could be responsible for repaying financial aid to C-N.  Also, HOPE and Promise recipients could permanently lose those scholarships, so aid recipients from those programs should not drop courses.  See our Withdrawing from the University page for more information.

I will complete my degree requirements this summer.  Is there any other paperwork I need to complete?- If you have borrowed student loans, you will need to complete Exit Counseling so that you understand your rights and responsibilities as you enter repayment on your loans.  If you will be finished with your degree requirements, contact the Registrar's Office for more guidance.