Request Info!
Home Apply Now! Request Info!


Veteran Affairs

Information for Veterans or Dependents of Veterans Eligible for Veterans Administration Educational Benefits

Carson-Newman University has been approved by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission to provide programs and courses of instruction to veterans of the United States Military or dependents of deceased or disabled veterans who are eligible for educational benefits.

To receive educational benefits, eligible recipients must be accepted for admission to the University. The application for VA Educational Benefits (Form 22-1990) must be completed and submitted to the Veterans Administration Regional Processing Center by the student recipient. The University Registrar, who serves as the VA School Certifying Official, will submit the enrollment certification (Form 22-1999) for eligible VA Educational Benefits Recipients. Enrollment certifications are submitted after the eligible student has completed the registration process. Applications and all supporting documents should be submitted at least eight weeks before the start of the first semester of enrollment for first time recipients. Certifications for first time Chapter 35 beneficiaries cannot be processed until after the first day of class of the first term of enrollment.

All veterans, National Guard, and Army Reserve recipients must submit a copy of their DD-214 to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation of transfer credit. Veterans who have served on active duty must also provide a copy of their Joint Services transcript.

Recipients who have received VA educational benefits and plan to transfer to C-N from another college or university must complete and submit a Change of Program or Place of Training Application (Form 22-1995). Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must also be submitted in order to determine prior credit.

Federal guidelines and regulations are specific regarding eligibility to receive veteran’s educational benefits. Eligible recipients must be pursing an educational objective, which is defined at Carson-Newman as leading to a bachelors,  masters or doctoral degree. Recipients must be degree seeking students and designate an approved major and program of study. Courses approved for certification are those that are required for the recipient’s major and program of study. Recipients of educational benefits must work closely with an academic advisor to make certain that courses taken are part of degree requirements for their chosen academic program. Excessive elective courses or courses in which a passing grade has been earned (except for courses in which a grade of “C” or higher is required) will not be approved for certification.

Students receiving educational benefits are responsible for notifying the University Registrar for any change in enrollment that would affect receipt of educational benefits. Satisfactory attendance, conduct and progress, as defined by the University, must be maintained in order to continue receiving benefits.

The Carson-Newman University VA Educational Benefits Recipient Statement of Understanding must be signed and submitted to the School Certifying Official before enrollment certifications will be processed.

For additional information concerning Veterans Educational Benefits, please contact  the Military Affairs Coordinator, Ms. Kelli Blanton at 865-471-3519 or, who serves as the VA School Certifying Official.

Statement of Understanding

Rankings & Recognitions View All