As a member of the TN National Guard. you may be eligible for state tuition assistance through the TN STRONG Act. Carson-Newman is an approved school to use TN STRONG tuition assistance.
To be eligible for TN STRONG, students must use and exhaust all Federal Tuition Assistance. Please ensure your eligibility by reviewing TN STRONG & FTA
What is the Tennessee Strong?
The Tennessee STRONG (Support, Training, and Renewing Opportunity for National Guardsmen) Act establishes a pilot program to provide eligible members of the Tennessee National Guard tuition funding toward a first time bachelor degree for the next four years through a tuition reimbursement program. The STRONG Act provides educational opportunities for those who protect and serve our state and country and supports the Drive to 55 goal of equipping 55 percent of Tennesseans with a degree or certificate by 2025.
Who can apply?
Current Tennessee Air National Guard and Army National Guard service members in good standing with their unit. Pre-Basic Combat Training and pre-AIT Soldiers are eligible for TN STRONG.
How do you apply?
1. Enroll in classes at Carson-Newman University
2. Complete the application packet, to include your Commander's signature.
3. Send completed packet to Kelli Blanton, Military Affairs Coordinator for signature in Contact information listed below.
4. The Military Affairs Coordinator will add additional documents and complete Section IV.
5. Once the packet is complete, it will be emailed to your branch of service's mailbox. It is ultimately your responsibility to ensure the packet is submitted; you will be cc'd on the email.
*Tuition deferment will only be granted when the completed packet is submitted to the Military Affairs Coordinator. Pending aid will be posted on your student account for the projected amount to receive. The maximum aid you will receive is $382 per credit hour.
Carson-Newman Points of Contact for TN STRONG:
Kelli Blanton, Military Affairs Coordinator
(865) 471-3519 / email@example.com
SGT Robert Carter, TN National Guard Recruiter, Carson-Newman
(423) 839-3173 / firstname.lastname@example.org