BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE DEVELOPER
Department: Information Technology Services.
Reports to: Institutional Research and Development Coordinator.
FLSA Status: Exempt.
Time Requirements: Occasional nights and weekends.
Summary Description: This position is responsible for creating and managing Business Intelligence (BI) and analytics solutions for faculty, staff and external agencies. This position should have knowledge in developing, maintaining and supporting operational reports, dashboards, and scorecards using Microsoft Power BI and relational databases such as SQL. This position will provide internal and external support including coding, testing, documenting, troubleshooting and end user training.
This position must be able to quickly learn and utilize a wide variety of development tools to retrieve and update administrative and academic data from a variety of databases, streamline departmental processes, and improve the student experience with minimal technical supervision.
This position is expected to implement, modify, test, and document Power BI solutions based on the specifications of the coordinator to meet the changing needs of the University. They are also responsible for working with and making recommendations to the coordinator based on their own research of manuals, technical reports, and periodicals to ensure solutions are current and that they meet industry standards.
• Responsible for the design, analysis and Power BI programming associated with maintenance, modifications, and enhancements to new and existing administrative applications.
• Assist with implementing, modifying, testing, and documenting BI solutions based on the specifications of the coordinator to meet the changing needs of the University.
• Responsible for working with and making recommendations to the coordinator based on their own research of manuals, technical reports, and periodicals to ensure solutions are current and that they meet industry standards.
• Maintain and update the Power BI System.
• Troubleshoot MDX and DAX code.
• Analyze department and cross-department processes in relationship to current and upcoming applications.
• Analyze department and across department processes in relationship to the developed and not yet developed application/s.
• Troubleshoot and provide technical assistance for errors, problems, or questions about the developed application/s.
• Maintain appropriate documentation of procedures.
• Provide expert knowledge and training in the developed applications.
• Additional tasks and projects as assigned.
Education: An Associate degree with a technology related emphasis or related field is required or equivalent of 2 years of experience.
• Strong organizational & time-management skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks. Demonstrated ability to work with internal constituents and external organizations.
• The ability to present plans, policies, and projects. Ability to discuss technology topics with technical and non-technical people.
• The ability to acquire new skills.
• Demonstrated written and oral English language skills.
• Strong communication, interpersonal, and organization skills internally and externally.
• The ability to accurately analyze, diagnose problems and outline solutions.
• Desire and aptitude to learn additional programming.
• Ability to pay close attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently.
• Programming skills: Microsoft Power BI and BI tools, Microsoft SQL Server and SQL reporting tools such as SSRS and T-SQL.
• Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Excel.
• Knowledge and experience with data structures and relational database design.
• Knowledge and experience in database administration.
• Knowledge and experience with Ellucian ERP products (Colleague/Banner) and reporting tools such as Informer (Preferred).
• Knowledge of other higher education industry established applications.
• General to mid-level knowledge of higher education offices, functions and processes.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General Information: This description is designed to describe the general nature of the job and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and duties. It is the responsibility of the supervisor for this position to formally outline in writing any performance expectations including specific duties for which the employee assigned to this position will be held accountable in terms of performance evaluation.
Employee Expectations: The University expects all employees to conduct themselves in a manner that is appropriate for a Christian institution and to be worthy examples in moral conduct and behavior for the students of the University and fellow employees.
Only complete application packets will be considered. A complete application packet will include a letter of interest, three professional references, and resume. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Human Resources, Attn: Staff Recruiting
Jefferson City, TN 37760
CARSON-NEWMAN UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER