Home Apply Now!


Graduate Students

Welcome!  Please find information regarding financial aid for graduate degree programs below, and on the following information page: Federal Student Aid for Graduate and Professional Students.  Students must first apply and be accepted for admission in a degree seeking program before consideration for financial aid will be given.  Graduate certificate programs are not eligible for federal financial assistance 1. Additionally students that are provisionally admitted into a graduate degree program will have aid awarded up until the provisional allowance of credits have been attempted, and therefore must be fully admitted beyond the allowance of credits on provisional status to continue receiving aid.

How to apply for financial aid:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to list Carson-Newman’s Title IV code as 003481. Complete the FAFSA at least two months prior to your intended enrollment date.
  • Enroll at least half-time with 6 credit hours for all programs beginning Fall 2018.
  • You will receive an electronic notification to your Carson-Newman email account when your award is ready to review and accept or reject through your C-N Connect Account.  If, at the time your award is prepared, you do not have a C-N email or C-N Connect Account, you will be mailed an award letter that you will be required to return with signatures confirming your acceptance or rejection of aid.
  • No aid is automatically renewable; continue to complete the FAFSA each academic year to be considered for aid renewal.  The FAFSA is available beginning January 1st for each new upcoming academic year.

In preparing your award, we have assumed at least 6 credit hours (half-time) unless your registration indicates other wise. You should contact us if your enrollment status will be different than above and/or you are enrolled in both module and semester length courses, so that your award may be adjusted before classes begin.

Types of Aid Available to Graduate Degree Seeking Students

(University Merit Scholarships, Need-based Grants, and Endowments are not available for our graduate programs)


Initial Award and Renewal Criteria

 Award Amount Per Year

Scheduled 18-19 Disbursement Dates based on actual attendance- dates subject to change without notice

(Student Accounts processes Credit Balance Refund Check, if applicable, within 14 calendar days of the disbursement dates below)

Federal Work Study* Must file FAFSA and prove demonstrated need with a desire to work on campus part-time by answering yes to FWS interest question on FAFSA. May use toward tuition or indirect cost. More in formation available through our Student Employment page. Estimated earnings of $400 to $2000, based on minimum wage and the number or hours worked. Paid monthly. Time sheets due 1st of Month for checks to be disbursed on the 16th of the month 
Federal Perkins Loan*

No longer available.



Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan*2

Repayment of principle begins six months after student falls below half-time enrollment. Requires Master Promissory Note (MPN), Entrance Counseling, and enroll at least half-time.



Up to $20,500*

*Cannot exceed actual cost of attendance, estimated at $19K for most programs.

Aggregate limit is $138,500 with no more than $65,500 in subsidized loans from prior borrowing.  The aggregate limit includes all federal loans received from other enrollment such as an undergraduate and/or masters degree(s).

Full Term Programs




Module Dates

Multiple Disbursements

A-Fall TBD

   Spring TBD

B-Fall  TBD

   Spring TBD

C-Fall TBD

   Spring TBD

D-Fall TBD

   Spring TBD

E- Fall TBD

   Spring TBD


(paperwork, if new borrower, must be completed prior to scheduled dates, and student must have begun attendance in each module for disbursement to occur on the above dates- all others will be modified to actual attendance)

Tennessee Teaching Scholars Program (Forgivable Loan)



 Junior, Senior or Post-baccalaureate standing. Must be admitted to the Teacher Ed program. Must commit to teach in Tennessee public schools. Must submit separate application by April 15th.  Up to $5000 per year for a maximum of four years.  

Full Term Programs




Same as Full Term dates above


(paperwork must be completed prior to scheduled dates for disbursement to occur on the above dates, and student must have begin attendance in first 8- all other will have delayed dates according to actual attendance)

Federal TEACH Grant*

Students enrolled in an eligible program meeting  the academic qualifications, who intend to teach in a high-need subject area at schools that serve students from low-income families.  Requires teaching obligation or grant converts to an unsubsidized loan, retroactive with interest.


Up to $4,000 per year for full-time enrollment; prorated awards for less than full-time;  

Full Term Programs




Multiple Disbursements

See Module Dates Above


(paperwork must be completed prior to scheduled dates for disbursement to occur on the above dates, and student must have begun attendance in first eight- all others will be modified to actual attendance)


How to apply for In School Deferment:

  • C-N submits all enrollment information to the National Student Loan Clearinghouse on a regular basis each term to assist with deferment information
  • Students should continue paying on loans while in repayment status until they have confirmed prior loans have been deferred
  • Deferment forms may be mailed to the C-N Registrar's Office for completion as well
  • Information regarding your federal aid history may be obtained through the https://studentaid.ed.gov/log-in
  • Be sure to contact your loan service provider to update changes in information and obtain more information, or form: https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/


* Federal Programs are limited to U.S. citizens or permanent residents enrolled in an eligible program making satisfactory progress. In-school deferment status on loans requires at least half-time attendance.
1 Graduate certificate programs are currently not eligible for federal financial aid.   If you are enrolling in these programs, you may wish to apply for private alternative loan funding or arrange a payment plan with the Student Accounts.

As of July 1, 2012, graduate students are no longer eligible for subsidies in the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program.

Rankings & Recognitions View All