Request Info!
Home Apply Now! Request Info!


General Aid Provisions- Basic Eligibility Guidelines

Our basic eligibility guidelines are as follows:

  1. To renew your federal, state, and need-based C-N aid, you must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. Priority FAFSA deadline is February 1st. The FAFSA application for each fall opens the previous October 1st.
  2. Your award is based on your financial information supplied by you and/or your family. Your award is subject to revision if your financial situation changes, errors in data are discovered, you change your housing status, you drop below full-time enrollment, or additional assistance from other sources exceeds your individual limits.
  3. Your award is determined in accordance with laws, regulations, appropriations (existing or anticipated) of the U.S. Department of Education, and by the regulations of the applicable federal, state, and University programs. Award provisions are subject to change without notice.
  4. Your financial aid student records are protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). For more detailed information, please access the FERPA page at your convenience.
  5. By signing your Financial Aid Award Letter or accepting your aid through C-N Connect, you are authorizing us to release information to the U.S. Department of Education, state agencies, scholarship donors, scholarship selection committees, and other C-N departments as needed.
  6. You are required to notify the Office of Financial Aid in writing or via email of the amounts of any financial aid received from outside sources and of any changes in enrollment status.
  7. Carson-Newman University aid is available for 8 semesters for incoming freshman. Transfer students may retain this award for the number of semesters normally required to achieve graduation. Only students enrolled full-time in our traditional undergraduate programs seeking their first undergraduate degree are eligible for University merit scholarships, need-based scholarships, and/or endowments.
  8. In preparing undergraduate award letters, we assume full-time enrollment each semester. Undergraduate students must contact the office of Financial Aid if you will enroll for less than full-time attendance or if you plan to repeat a course in which you have earned credit previously. To reflect your current status, the Office of Financial Aid will adjust awards after each drop period ends. Due to C-N policy of grade replacement, when repeating a course with a D or better, your financial aid enrollment status will be based on courses for which you will receive new credit. For examples of how this policy is applied, review the Satisfactory Academic Progress information. C-N University aid is reserved for full-time on-ground students seeking their first undergraduate degree.
  9. You must be enrolled at least half-time to maintain eligibility for loan disbursements each semester. Undergraduate and graduate enrollment of at least half-time is 6 credit hours per term (as of 2018).

Rankings & Recognitions View All