Physical Education Teaching Program
Vision: Our vision is to prepare caring and professionally competent teachers who feel called to lifelong commitments to leadership, learning, and service.
Mission: Through selfless service, excellence, learning, and leadership; the mission of the Physical Education program at Carson-Newman is to educate students to become ethical, knowledgeable, and innovative learners who will preserve a successful ministry within the teaching and sports community in the 21st century.
Career Opportunities: Students with a degree in Physical Education at Carson-Newman can be licensed to teach Physical Education in grades K-12, High School Wellness, and Middle School Health. Our degree plan allows students to get an additional license in K-12 Special Education or K-5 Elementary Education within the four years to graduation. Our graduates are also prepared for careers in the fields of coaching, group fitness, and youth programming.
Learning Goals: In order to promote physical literacy and a lifetime of healthful physical activity, our students will:
- acquire and demonstrate content and pedagogical knowledge in:
- a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- the skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.
- provide appropriate physical, cognitive, social, and emotional support to impact a diverse student population.
- demonstrate group management and motivation skills to create a safe, respectful, and positive learning environment.
- implement developmentally appropriate instructional strategies in recognition of students' diverse backgrounds, abilities, learning styles, personalities and interests.
- understand the impact and necessity of assessment to measure student learning and plan for effective instruction.
- pursue lifelong learning through reflection, professional development, research and leadership.
Praxis Exam: 100 percent of our graduates pass the Praxis exam.'