- Keep your operating system updated.
- Windows updates are free by selecting the ‘Start’ button, selecting ‘All Programs’, and then selecting ‘Windows Update’.
- Apple/Mac security updates: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222?viewlocale=en_US
- Install and keep updated a good anti-virus program such as:
- Install and keep updated a good anti-spyware and anti-malware programs such as:
- Never install web browser enhancements (e.g. toolbars, search engines, etc.)
- Never install programs from the Internet that you are not absolutely sure about (e.g. calendars, programs to set your PC clock, screensavers, etc.)
- Never use instant messaging to talk with an unknown person (viruses and spyware can be transmitted this way)
- Never open an e-mail attachment you are not expecting
- Never give out personal information to a person or web site that you are not absolutely sure about (banks will not send you an e-mail asking you to click on a link and update personal information.
Information Technology Services Help Desk
Room 300, FITE Administration Building
email: firstname.lastname@example.org | phone: 865-471-3506