English Language Institute (ELI) Program
The goal of the Carson-Newman English Language Institute is to increase the English language proficiency of non-native English speakers to the level needed for study at a college or university in the United States. Full-time students enrolled in the ELI receive 25 hours per week of instruction in reading, writing, speaking, listening, grammar, and American culture.
Carson-Newman’s program is characterized by:
- Low student/teacher ratio.
- Personal attention.
- Computer-assisted instruction.
- Integrated activities with native English speakers (sports, music, clubs, and conversation partners).
- Current instructional methods and materials.
- Academic credit earned toward bachelor’s degree.
- Visitation of college classes.