For Faculty and Staff
The Future of Service-Learning: New Solutions for Sustaining & Improving Practice, edited by Jean R. Strait & Marybeth Lima
Abstract: As a new generation of practitioners engages with service-learning, at a time when higher education faces questions about learning outcomes and costs, and in the context of such issues of globalization and the environment, this book poses important questions about practice, institutional sustainability, and future directions. Among these are: What counts as service-learning? What value does it bring to institutions? Is it appropriate for all students? How is globalization impacting service-learning? Divided into three thematic parts, this book successfully covers institutional and administrative issues; service-learning as a springboard for research; and new practices that address emerging challenges and changing student populations.
Events of Interest:
- Carson-Newman’s annual campus-wide day of service, Operation InAsMuch, will be Saturday, October 12 from 9 AM - 1 PM. Participants will arrive in the MSAC 3-GYM area no later than 9 A.M. Signups will be online once again this year through Sign Up Genius. Please see the link below. Also look for the link to be posted on Facebook and EagleNet, and look for the Community Connections team in the cafeteria in the coming weeks to sign up. This year, individuals or groups may sign up for specific service sites, so please sign up early to reserve your spot. Only pre-registrants are guaranteed participation. If you are signing up multiple people as part of a class or organization, you must add their names and email before signing up. If you have questions or concerns, please email Will Brummett, Logistics Coordinator for the Bonner Center, at email@example.com (Phone: 865-471-3594) or the Community Connections Team firstname.lastname@example.org. Sign up today: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/409094CAFA829AA8-operation
- Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference, October 23-25, 2013: "Moving Us Forward: Aligning Civic & Community Engagement with Mission & Institutional Effectiveness" in Philadelphia, PA. Early bird registration rates end September 20, 2013!
- 25th Annual National Service-Learning Conference, April 9-12, 2014: "Monumental" in Washington, D.C.
- 2013 Assessment Institute, October 27-29, 2013: Pre-Institute Sessions & a full 2 days in Indianapolis, IN. Early registration rates end September, 13, 2013 and all registration closes on October 15th!
- 6th Annual SALSA (Southern Alleghenies Learn & Serve Alliance) Service-Learning Conference Call for Presenters: workshops or presentations are 50 minutes and presenters will be chosen on an ongoing basis. Deadline to apply is October 4, 2013!