Carson-Newman Hosts Area Math Competition
OnTuesday April 17, 2012, Carson-Newman’s math department served as a site for the
Tennessee Mathematics Teachers’ Association contest, an event the College has
hosted for over 30 years.
A total of 203 students from Grainger, Hamblen, Jefferson, Knox, and Sevier Counties participated in the competition. Participants represented All Saints Episcopal, Gatlinburg-Pittman High, Gibbs High, Jefferson County High, Lincoln Heights Middle, Morristown-Hamblen East High, Morristown-Hamblen West High, Washburn High and West View Middle schools. Divided into six categories, the competition is open to contestants from high schools, middle school,s and home school settings. The winners of each category are awarded a $1,000 C-N Freshman Scholarship.
- Algebra I– Chachthida Sukitjavanich, Gatlinburg Pittman High School (teacher Carol Pullium);
- Geometry – Martin A. Tan, Morristown West High School (teacher Linda Sedlack);
- Algebra II – Haylea D. Seals, Morristown West High School (teacher Douglas King);
- Statistics – Nikhil Ramaprasad, Morristown-Hamblen High School West (teacher Ralph Noble);
- Precalculus – Zachary R. Yarid, Morristown-Hamblen High School West (teacher Christopher Hayes);
- Calculus and Advanced Topics –Matthew A. Keith, Morristown-Hamblen High School East (teacher Michael Ramsey).