Swann Hall receives historical marker
(Oct. 9, 2017)— Carson-Newman University’s Sarah Swann Hall has been awarded an official Tennessee historical marker by the Tennessee Historical Commission. The designation recognizes Swann Hall as a significant part of Tennessee history.
Colonel Alfred R. Swann built the structure in 1904 to honor his mother Sarah. Since its construction, the hall has been home to generations of Carson-Newman coeds with the exception of 1943-45 when the hall became the headquarters for the World War II V-12 Navy Training Program shipmates.
This past summer, the building’s majestic front porch was restored and remodeled.
A dedication ceremony, to commemorate the historical designation, will be held Friday, Oct. 20, at 1 p.m. as part of Carson-Newman’s 2017 Homecoming activities.
Sarah Swann Hall is located at 1637 Russell Avenue in Jefferson City. The ceremony is free and open to the public.
The state’s Historical Marker Program began in the late 1940s as a way to commemorate locations, persons and events in Tennessee history. The effort seeks to enhance a community’s awareness of their rich cultural heritage and preserve and interpret Tennessee history for future generations.
Other 2017 C-N Homecoming activities include:
- 24th Annual Homecoming Golf Classic: Held at Patriot Hills Golf Club on Friday Oct. 20, registration for this four-person scramble begins at 8:30 a.m. with a 9 a.m. shotgun start.
- **CANCELLED** Blast to the Past Cruise-In: Friday, Oct. 20, from 4 to 7 p.m. in the rear lot of the Maddox Student Activities Center. Registration for the Cruise-In is free and any antique, street rod or daily drivers are welcome to attend. For more information, contact Mark Brown at (865) 471-3204 or: email@example.com
- “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” Production: The musical based on the Genesis story of Joseph is performed by C-N’s Lyric Theatre in Gentry Auditorium. Performances are Thursday, Oct. 19 through Saturday, Oct. 21, at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 22, at 2 p.m. Call 865-471-4163 to purchase tickets.
- Homecoming Dinner: Friday, Oct. 20, from 4:30 to 7 p.m. in the Main Dining Room of Stokely Memorial Cafeteria. Cost is $10 per person.
- Music Department Sampler: Saturday, Oct. 21, at 10 a.m. in the sanctuary of First Baptist Church, Jefferson City.
- The Barn Residence Hall 50th Reunion: Saturday, Oct. 21, 11 a.m.-12 noon in Stokely Memorial Cafeteria.
- Homecoming Parade: Saturday, Oct. 21, at 2 p.m. on campus.
- Carson-Newman vs. North Greenville football game: Saturday, Oct. 21, at 3 p.m. in Burke-Tarr Stadium. To purchase tickets, contact Athletic Promotions at (865) 471-3396 or: firstname.lastname@example.org