MAT: Secondary 7-12 or K-12 Education
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree candidates, in addition to meeting the MAT degree requirements, must also meet licensure requirements of the state in which they are planning to teach. The Teacher Education Office will offer information concerning licensure requirements in Tennessee. Those seeking to be licensed in other states are responsible for making sure they are meeting their respective state’s requirements. The Teacher Education Office has the addresses and telephone numbers of all state licensure offices in the United States.
Licensure areas are: Biology, Business, Child and Family Studies, Chemistry, English, Family and Consumer Science, French, Government, History, Mathematics, Music-Instrumental, Music-Vocal, Physical Education, Physics, Psychology, Spanish, Theatre, and Visual Arts.
Secondary 7-12 or K-12 Education 45 hours
I. Pre-Student Teaching, 30 hours
- EDUC 524, Techniques for Inclusion, 3 hours
- EDUC 531, Evaluation of Learning, 3 hours
- EDUC 533, Educational Technology, 3 hours
- EDUC 544/545/546/547/548/549, Methods in Content Field, 3 hours*
- EDUC 558, Foundations of Education, 3 hours
- EDUC 560, Classroom Management, 3 hours
- EDUC 561, Effective Home, School, Community Relations, 3 hours
- EDUC 566, Issues in Human Development, 3 hours
- EDUC 630, Educational Research, 3 hours
- SPED 508, Survey of Persons with Exceptionalities, 3 hours
* Students seeking licensure in music, art, physical education, special education, and family and consumer sciences education take methods courses offered by the respective departments.
NOTE: Those seeking licensure in English in Tennessee must have four hours of reading. To satisfy this state requirement, English majors at Carson-Newman must take EDUC 655 Reading Instruction and Assessment, 4 hours.
II. Enhanced Student Teaching, 9 hours
- EDUC 667, Student Teaching: Placement 1, 4 hours
- EDUC 668, Student Teaching: Placement 2, 4 hours
- EDUC 669, Seminar in Student Teaching, 1 hour
—— END OF LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS ——-
III. Post Student Teaching, 6 hours
- EDUC 530, Curriculum Development, 3 hours
- EDUC 660*, Thesis, 3 hours
- EDUC 600, Integrating Research and Learning, 3 hours
- * EDUC 631, Research in the Content Field is a prerequisite to EDUC 660
NOTE: All electives must be within the discipline and approved by advisor.
Graduate and Adult Studies
1646 Russell Avenue
Jefferson City, TN 37760