Spiritual Guidance and Care Program Description
The purpose of the Spiritual Guidance and Care track is to educate students to be able to foster the spiritual growth of others, as well as be able to deliver spiritual care to persons in crisis and need. A student completing the Master of Science in Counseling with the Spiritual Guidance and Care track would be equipped to pursue licensure as an LPC or LMFT and integrate spirituality into their therapeutic practice, as well as add to their practice the ministry of spiritual direction and guidance. Students would also be equipped to serve as ministers of spiritual formation and guidance. Students would also be equipped to serve as ministers of spiritual formation and pastoral care on church staffs. Additional coursework and supervision will be required after completion of the MSC degree as required by the state when the student is seeking licensure. Students are required to work closely with faculty advisors in course selection throughout the graduate program of study.
The successful graduate of this program will:
1. Articulate and demonstrate an understanding of the nature of spiritual guidance.
2. Articulate and demonstrate an understanding of the nature of spiritutal care.
3. Examine the differences and similarities between counseling and spiritual guidance and care.
4. Apply counseling theory and basic techniques in building a helping relationship in the work of spiritual guidance and care.
5. Apply an understanding of group theory and dynamics and its impact on spiritual guidance.
6. Demonstrate an ability to apply several spiritual assessment tools and inventories.
7. Demonstate an understanding and use of continual spiritual self-assessment as an essential tool for the spiritual guidance and care of others.
8. Demonstrate an ability to facilitate the spiritual growth of others.
9. Demonstrate the skills to deliver pastoral care to others.
Graduate and Adult Studies
1646 Russell Avenue
Jefferson City, TN 37760