Admission Requirements and Application Process - MBA
Apply now and we will waive your application fee!
The MBA program at Carson-Newman University has a competitive admissions policy. Selection of candidates is based on several criteria evaluated by the MBA Director.
The admissions process for a student wishing to pursue a Master of Business Administration is as follows:
- To complete your application on-line: ONLINE APPLICATION
- To complete your application for mail: Paper Application
- Application fee: $50.00 - The application fee is currently waived for early enrollment.
- A letter of recommendation from each of the following areas: academic, employment, and character
- Official transcript(s) of all undergraduate study
- Written statement of purpose
In addition to the common admission requirements for all C-N graduate programs, applicants to the MBA program must meet the following minimum qualifications to be considered for unconditional admission to the program:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university and have a minimum overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.5 (or 2.75 on the last 60 hours of the baccalaureate program). For students required to take GMAT*, a minimum score of 400 must be earned. Students must have at least 1000 points based on the formula 200 times the overall GPA plus the GMAT score, or have at least 1,050 points based on the formula 200 times the upper division UGPA plus the GMAT score.
- Professional resume
- Interview with MBA Director
- Official GMAT scores (if applicable)
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)*
GMAT policy for the MBA program is as follows:
No GMAT score required
- For working professionals – If a working professional has at least 2 years of professional work experience and earned a 3.0 minimum GPA in their undergraduate coursework– no GMAT score is required. If a working professional has at least 4 years of professional work experience, no GMAT score is required. Exceptions to this policy are at the discretion of the MBA Director.
Professional work experience will be determined by the MBA Director and/or the MBA Committee.
- For continuing students - If a student decides to go on to graduate school directly after completing their undergraduate business degree and earned a GPA of 3.25 or higher– no GMAT score is required.
GMAT score required
For individuals seeking to earn an MBA from Carson-Newman for which #1 or #2 does not apply, a GMAT exam must be taken.
Students not satisfying the test score requirement for admission may, at the discretion of the MBA Director, be provisionally admitted to the program. Students admitted provisionally may only apply the first 9 graduate credit hours toward the MBA degree. Upon completion of 9 graduate credit hours in the program with a 3.0 or higher GPA, the provisionally admitted student will be granted unconditional admission.
Students without undergraduate coursework in accounting, economics, finance, management, statistics, and marketing must successfully complete online preparatory modules through MBA Primer. Contact the MBA Director for more information.
Please send all application materials to: