Tarr Music Center
1620 Russell Ave., Jefferson City, TN 37760
Completed in 1980, this two-story complex has 45,704 square feet of floor space especially designed to enhance both teaching and performance. A spacious lobby is the focal point of the facility which is bathed in natural light entering from large, east facing windows and glass doors. Main entrance into the lobby is by means of the portico which also provides ample space and acoustical support for outside performance opportunities. An overpass which transects the lobby serves as a student lounge and study area. The instructional, administrative, and performance functions of the music department are housed in this singular facility which includes faculty studios, classrooms, practice rooms, the music library, and the central administrative offices.
Classroom space includes 4 rooms: two general purpose classrooms each equipped with SMART Board® technology and two special music instruction rooms: the piano lab with 12 student piano stations, and the electronic music lab with 6 iMac and MIDI keyboard work stations. Piano faculty studios and piano major practice rooms are equipped with Steinway & Sons grand pianos. The architectural design of the Tarr Music Center provides structurally isolated performance spaces. The choral rehearsal room, seating 100 singers, is located in the south wing, and the band rehearsal hall is located in the north wing. Both rooms are designed with the acoustical needs of each group. The recital hall, which seats 250, is located in the west wing and houses a 32-rank Reuter teaching and recital organ as well as two pianos: Steinway & Sons – D and Steinway & Sons - B.