Home Apply Now!


Transfer Credit Policy



Carson-Newman University accepts transfer credit from accredited colleges and universities and endorses the guidelines for transfer of credit as outlined in the “Joint Statement of the Transfer and Award of Credit” developed by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), The American Council of Education (ACE) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). 

Course Credit Evaluation process: 

1.    The transfer credit evaluation process includes accepting college level work in a discipline offered by Caron-Newman University.  Credit will be accepted as: 

A.  A course similar in likeness to a C-N course. The course will be granted a Carson-Newman course number,  or

B.  A course that meets a General Education or Liberal arts requirement. The course will be granted credit as GER or LA,  for example BIOL-GER, or BIOL-LA,  or

C.  A course that is taught in a discipline that is offered by Carson-Newman, but does not equate to a representative course at C-N.  The course will be accepted as elective credit, designated as ELEC, for example, BIOL-ELEC. Elective credit may not be used toward meeting General Education Requirements. It may be used toward major requirements if approved by the department chair. It may also be used toward the total number of hours toward a degree. Credit accepted as elective credit may be further reviewed by a department chair upon student request to determine if the course would meet a liberal arts or major course requirement.  A course description and syllabus from the course must be provided to the department chair of the discipline in question for review of specific credit.

2.  Courses taught at the developmental or remedial level from the transferring institution is not accepted for credit.

3. Courses from vocational or technical schools are not accepted for credit. 

4. Credit for institutionally specific courses, such as chapel, orientation, lecture series,    

    etc., is not accepted. 

5.  Varsity Athletic sport credit will transfer as an “S” graded course and is limited to one credit per academic year.

6.  Credit earned for Nursing coursework does not automatically transfer. The School of Nursing will review all Nursing credit. Nursing credit will be awarded only upon the approval of the Dean or Department Chair of the School of Nursing, who will notify the Registrar concerning the awarding of nursing credit.

7. Credit for freshman seminar courses may be granted upon review and evaluation of course content. If the courses content is similar in nature to a course or courses at Carson-Newman, the credit will be granted as Interdisciplinary (prefix ID) credit.

8. Advanced Placement, College Level Examination Program and International Baccalaureate credit is accepted based upon established guidelines and required scores determined by individual departments. These guidelines are based on information and recommendations from the College Board and IB.

9. Credit from international institutions must be evaluated by a professional foreign credentials evaluation service such as WES, or Joseph Silney and Associates, or recognized equivalent. The official professional evaluation must be submitted to the college registrar for consideration of transfer credit. Credit will be awarded according to guidelines stated in this transfer credit policy.

Transfer credit and Degree Requirements:

1.  No more than 68 hours earned from a 2 year, junior or community college may be used toward the requirement for a degree from Carson-Newman.  If the student transfers in more than 68 hours of credit from a two year college, the student must earn least 60 hours from C-N and/or another 4 year college. Institutional policy requires at least 60 hours must earned from a senior (4 year) college or university, and at least 32 hours must be earned at Carson-Newman to award the degree.

2..  Credit earned at the 100 or 200 level from the original institution transferred as upper division to Carson-Newman will count as content credit for the discipline (except in the School of Business) but the hours earned will not count toward meeting the 36 Junior/Senior (upper division) hour requirement necessary for graduation from Carson-Newman.

3.  If a course was taken at another institution, it can be repeated at another institution, for the replacement to be granted.  If it was taken at C-N if has to be repeated at C-N in order for the forgiveness policy to be administered.  If the student fails the course at C-N, and successfully repeats it at another institution, the student will be granted the credit, but hours attempted will be counted for both courses.

4. All grades for courses which are accepted as transferrable are recorded and    computed into the transferable student’s grade point average. Grades are transferred on a 4.0 grading scale and plus and minus quality points are not computed in the transfer grade point average. These transferred quality points and the quality points earned at C-N will be used to calculate the cumulative GPA. Students must earn a minimum cumulative and C-N institutional GPA of 2.0 to graduate. (Some specific departments have higher GPA requirements for completion of the degree.)

5.  Courses transfer with the hours and level from the original institution.  A course may satisfy a content requirement, but may not satisfy other C-N requirements. Most notable are courses taught at a 2 year college do not satisfy junior senior hour requirements for graduation. 

6.  Class standing of transfer students is determined by the number of credit hours accepted for transfer at Carson-Newman University.

Credit earned through the Armed Forces:

Carson-Newman follows the American Council of Education recommendation for course credit earned through the Armed Forces. Carson-Newman will award credit that is similar in likeness to a course offered through Carson-Newman based on this recommendation. Credit earned through the military will be reviewed by the Carson-Newman University Registrar. C-N will award a minimum of 4 hours of Military credit (MILS) for basic training based on either the DD-214 or the AARTS transcript. An official AARTS. SMART, CCAF, or other equivalent military transcript must be submitted to the Registrar for consideration of additional credit. 

Credit from non-regionally accredited institutions:

If the student requests transfer of credit through a non-regionally accredited college the student may petition for credit through each individual department in which credit is sought. The student must complete the form for Requesting Credit from an Unaccredited Institution and provide a course description and a syllabus to the department chair for review and consideration.  The department chair will notify the registrar by completing and submitting the form to the Registrar indicating whether the credit is acceptable and how it should be awarded. 

Graduate Credit: 

Courses accepted for credit toward graduate degrees must be approved by the specific graduate program in which the degree is sought.  No more than 9 hours of transfer credit will be accepted toward the graduate degree. Transfer credit toward graduate programs must be earned within the last 5 years. 

The Appeal Process:

Students may appeal a transfer credit decision through the Registrar.  Documentation including a course syllabus must be submitted to the Registrar who will contact the department chair of the subject area of the credit being appealed. A decision will be rendered by the department chair in consultation with the Registrar.


Policy updated 2/20/12

Rankings & Recognitions View All