Home Apply Now!


Summer Aid

Summer 2016 Financial Aid- Processing will begin after summer registration

Application is the 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Students Aid (FAFSA). No other application is required for Federal Student Aid such as Direct Loans.  Current aid recipients have most likely completed this FAFSA.  However, if you are not currently an aid recipient, the deadline to complete the FAFSA is June 30, 2016, or two weeks before your last date of summer enrollment, whichever occurs FIRST.  If you qualify for Tuition Waiver, please make sure that your application is on file with the Human Resource Office. Hope recipients taking classes at another University should meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to make sure the appropriate paperwork is completed.

The Office of Financial Aid will begin processing Summer Aid based on your registration beginning April 15th . Current students will receive email notices to their C-N email account.  New students should first grant e-consent through C-N Connect account to facilitate notification electronically to C-N email account, as paper award letters are not processing during summer.  Your initial aid eligibility will be calculated based on your projected enrollment as noted in the registrar's file and information from your FAFSA.

Should your enrollment change, your projected aid WILL change. The Office of Financial Aid will conduct audits at the census date of each module, but it is your responsibility to notify our office ahead of time if your class schedule changes for any reason.

You must have your FAFSA completed and any other required paperwork you are notified to complete as soon as possible, since federal aid must be processed before the end of your enrollment during the summer.

"When Will I Receive My Aid?”- Please note that if your enrollment of at least half-time is between two summer sessions, loans will be disbursed in more than one disbursement, after you begin attendance in the first summer session. The first disbursement will occur after the census date of that term, with a second disbursement scheduled after the next census date that you will be attending. Please be aware of this when looking at your student bill. Summer fees charged in excess of summer aid are the responsibility of the student, and must be paid according to the policies of the Student Accounts Office. It is advised that you review important Summer 2016 terms and dates (Registrar's Office). Study abroad has different dates of disbursement, please see that information at the bottom.

University Scholarship / Grant Programs- Funds for university merit scholarship and need-based grant programs are reserved for use during the fall and spring academic year terms only. No funds will be awarded for the summer semester except for limited programs such as Accelerated Nursing (students must have appropriate program type listing accelerated nursing for our office to make that determination).

Summer HOPE for TN Residents (Must attend at least 6 hours):

To be eligible for summer HOPE disbursement, you must have initially received HOPE in fall 2009 and thereafter. This summer HOPE will be processed from your 15-16 FAFSA on file. You must also be eligible for HOPE with your TELS HOPE GPA prior to the start of Mayterm. Students at benchmarks (24,48,72,96 TELS attempted hours) must also be meeting continued eligibility with necessary GPA. This may require evaluation of spring grades, which are to be submitted by faculty in May. More information on continued eligibility is available in the Financial Aid Handbook. The amount you may qualify to receive will depend upon your hours enrolled, additional GAM eligibility, or additional Aspire eligibility. The amounts will range from $1,000-2,750 for coursework at C-N, depending upon part-time or full-time status and specific program eligibility.  If you are attending a Tennessee 2 year community college as a transient student, the amounts will range $500-1750, depending upon part-time or full-time status and specific program eligibility (see transient section below for additional information). 

HOPE Scholarship Eligible Transient Students (C-N Students taking coursework at another college this summer): You may be eligible for summer HOPE if you meet the above eligibility guidelines and are taking courses at another HOPE eligible TN college this summer. Degree seeking students at Carson-Newman that would like to take coursework at another HOPE eligible TN college or university must first be approved to take courses by your advisor and registrar by completing the Authorization to Take Courses at Another College form, and complete the TELS Consortium Agreement for Transient Students form. Please meet with a Financial Aid Counselor for futher guidance. IMPORTANT: All summer hours will count towards TELS attempted hours and TELS GPA, every transcript MUST be submitted to the Registrar's Office at least 4 weeks prior to the start of the fall term. Fall HOPE disbursements will be held until all transcripts have been received and evaluated for continued HOPE eligibility. Also summer disbursements will be made to your student account first. Student Accounts will then need to issue you a credit balance refund, if applicable. You will then take the proceeds to your transient school. You may be required to make payments to the school prior to your TELS HOPE disbursement, so plan accordingly.

Non-HOPE Eligible Transient Students (Taking coursework at another college in which you are not seeking a degree) Transient Students, not eligible to complete a HOPE consortium agreement are not eligible for financial aid at Carson-Newman University.  Additionally, C-N students that will be transient students at other universities, and are not eligible for a Hope consortium agreement, will not be eligible for aid at other universities.  Please speak with a Student Account representative to make payment on your account.

Federal Aid Programs Key Concepts and Definitions:

Academic Year- For purposes of federal financial aid programs at Carson-Newman, an academic year is a period of time (normally a minimum of 30 weeks or fall plus spring semester) during which a full -time undergraduate student is expected to complete a minimum of 24 credit hours.

Award year- refers to the specific enrollment period. The "normal" award year at Carson-Newman is the fall and spring semesters (currently the 2015-2016 year). Award years run from July 1 to June 30.

Cross -Over Payment Period- Any period that includes both June 30th and July 1. For the purposes of federal financial aid programs, this period must be assigned to a specific financial aid award year. These years begin each July 1.

Carson-Newman offers a number of summer sessions of differing lengths in an effort to be responsive to the needs of the student body. For the purposes of all federal aid programs, the separate sessions are combined into one "Cross-over" Payment Period. The 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be used to determine eligibility for all federal aid programs for the 2016 summer semester. Students who are entering Carson-Newman for the first time during the 2016 summer session should complete the 2015-2016 FAFSA forms online at http://www.fafsa.gov/. The Federal deadline to complete this form is June 30, 2016, however, the university needs this form no later than two weeks before your last enrollment date. Remember, if your application has been selected for verification, you must also complete that process BEFORE we can disburse aid from your FAFSA.

Federal Pell Grant- requires review of annual limit eligibility of funds and term limit eligibility of funds. Not all Pell Grant recipients will qualify for a summer disbursement. Additionally Federal Pell Grant is now under lifetime eligibility rules which limits students to the equivalent of twelve full-time semesters of attendance. Therefore students that have reached lifetime limits may not be eligible for summer pell grant disbursements.

Federal Direct Loans- required review of annual limit eligibility of funds and term limit eligibility of funds. Not all students will qualify for a summer disbursement. All first-time Federal Direct Loan borrowers at Carson-Newman must participate in entrance counseling, even if you have borrowed at a previous institution. Entrance counseling for Federal Direct Loans may be completed online at http://www.studentloans.gov/ website. You will need your FSA ID, and then you will need to complete the Master Promissory Note as well via the same website. Direct Loans are also subject to limitations.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (FASAP)- Students must be meeting the satisfactory academic progress guidelines at the end of the 2016 spring semester in order to continue to participate in federal aid programs for the summer. FASAP is calculated at the end of May for all students enrolled spring 2016. Therefore, if FASAP calculation determines that you are not meeting satisfactory academic progress, assistance offered will be declined on your behalf.

Enrollment Requirements- Eligibility for Federal Direct Stafford loans is limited to the difference between the amounts borrowed during the previous fall/ spring semesters and the maximum loan limits for each specific grade level as set by the U.S. Department of Education.

You must be registered for and maintain at least half-time enrollment (undergraduate 6 credits) before we can award you summer aid. Graduate students must also be at least half-time according to their program as listed in the Graduate Catalog. All courses taken must apply towards your degree requirements. An exception to the half-time enrollment rule may apply to Federal Pell Grant recipients. Repeated coursework for which you have earned credit will NOT be counted towards the minimum hours after the second repeat.

Withdrawal Information- Withdrawal from courses on or after the first day of classes may require a Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4) calculation to determine amount of federal aid that has been earned, if you do not enroll in a subsequent course. Contact the Office of Financial Aid to initiate official withdrawal procedures. Failure to contact the office does not negate the requirement to calculate the R2T4, and students are liable for student bill charges and overpayments resulting from calculation. Students should contact financialaid@cn.edu to determine how their aid will be affected by withdrawal from courses.

Loan "Exit" Counseling for Summer Graduates- Students who have utilized the Federal Student Loan Programs AND who will be completing their degree requirements will need to complete an online "exit counseling" session. The point of this requirement is to make sure that you understand your rights and responsibilities as you enter repayment.

Additional Financing Options- There may be alternatives for financing summer enrollment through a Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS). If the parent is denied we can offer the student an additional Unsubsidized Stafford loan (provided annual limit has not been reached), which must be accepted by the student.

Parent Plus Loan Information: http://www.studentloans.gov/.

Alternative Loans are available to research via the internet. Please be aware that alternative loans should be borrowed from a trusted source of lending. Carson-Newman University does not endorse any lenders, and is not available to assist you in finding a lender for an alternative student loan 

Study Abroad Important Notes:  Study Abroad Forms for Financial Aid

Please note that you will need to make arrangements to pre-pay for your program if the payment is due in advance. The earliest that aid disbursement will be set is the start date of the program. Additionally, if disbursement is from a loan period that is a single term, the loan is required to be disbursed in two equal installments. The first installment will be no earlier than the start day of the program, and the second disbursement will be at the midpoint of the program/term.

Any charges owed to Carson-Newman for the term will be deducted from the posting of aid first and the remainder will be available for a credit balance refund. Additionally, the credit balance refund checks that are generated from aid disbursements will be paid to the student. Students should make arrangements for checks to be deposited by their financial power of attorney while abroad.

To begin your Study Abroad, please first contact the Global Education Office. They will instruct you on further steps. You will also need to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor to complete other required forms. An Authorization to Take Courses At Another College will also have to be approved and on file in the Registrar’s Office.

Remember, you must annually complete a FAFSA if you want to apply for all federal and state financial aid programs (including the TELS HOPE Program)

Rankings & Recognitions View All